The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, September 7, 2009

When did we have a real summer this year?

That's the million dollar question. It's Labor Day, cloudy, and I'm sitting here with my jeans on, a sweater, and feeling like we've been gypped. Of course Labor Day is practically in the middle of September this year which puts a fake ending to summer since around September 1st the temperature seems to drop significantly.
Now, I have to report, to my knowledge, Long Island didn't have this weather phenomenon, as I can remember going to school in the heat, wearing my plaid short-sleeved dress (of the years' styles in the '40s), my saddle shoes with white socks. I can remember my mother telling me that she remembered seeing the orphan girls wearing plaid dresses, with long sleeves, walking to school in a group, so "I shouldn't ever expect to wear a plaid dress with long sleeves." And I never did. That was a definite no-no.
I have to also say - I miss Long Island weather. We had a much earlier spring and a much later Fall. Oh, well. What is...is.
Got a lovely note from Cousin Carol. You're welcome, Carol.
Looks like today will be a quiet day. Those days are nice, too.
The rest of the week will become busy. We're headed to western Pennsylvania next weekend to have a family reunion of Paul's siblings. Paul is the youngest of five. One of his brothers and his wife will be stopping here Friday and staying overnight on the way from Connecticut.
Retired teachers always (I'm not speaking for those of us who are not happy being retired) love the first day of school. The retired teachers from my school always have a luncheon then to celebrate. That is a great tradition,and tomorrow we'll be continuing it. It's always so good to see everyone and the group is growing by leaps and bounds. Hard to believe I've been retired 6 years.
That's all folks.

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

If you would like an "earlier spring and much later fall", you can always move to The Philippines!

Mom said...

I think you meant - NO Spring, NO Fall and NO Winter.