The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Now that Over the Hump Day has appeared, we can look forward to the weekend. This weekend will be a travel one for us - to DuBois, Pa, for the Boyer family reunion. Boyer is Paul's mother's maiden name. DuBois is in the western part of Pennsylvania from where we live here in New York, , and this is where Paul's family is from. It will take several hours' of driving time. We went to this reunion two years ago, and I had a chance to meet a LOT more of Paul's relatives. Some faces looked familiar to me, from other reunions - such as at Paul's house the year before, (about three years ago). Lots of people were there at that reunion, and there for our Wedding Open House two years ago.
Coming from a relatively small family, these are unique situations for me. Let's see...there's my brother, my two cousins (actually three - one, on Long Island, whom I don't have a chance to see often) and that's it...from our generation. Now, with Paul and Donna's families - they're coming out of the woodwork...and I don't mean that as uncomplimentary. How lucky they are.
Nice people. Welcoming me with open arms.
Paul and I will leave on Saturday morning and come back on Sunday evening, leaving the cat, Ella, by herself during that time. With enough food, water, a clean litter box, and the TV tuned to the Animal Planet, she should do okay. I do worry, however, with her age. Oh, well. I have to remind myself that she's only a cat.
Subject change: Today was a travel day...Sharon called last night and asked if we could pick up and return Lee to school mid-day. So I picked up Lee at Notre Dame at noontime, and Paul took him back at 3:00 for football practice. This is the second and last of two days that are half days for him. We suggested he bring his bathing suit for the hottub, but it slipped his mind, much to his chagrin.
Yesterday was my Teachers' Luncheon. What a wonderful time we all had. The restaurant arranged our tables in a square, so that everyone could talk with and see everyone else since there were about 16 of us. (I didn't actually count.) Lots of photos of grandchildren, etc.
I also went to Curves yesterday and today. Last night, my legs were very achy because I had sandles on instead of sneakers for most of the day. They feel pretty good now though, even going to Curves this morning. Weight Watchers tonight.
Paul is busy putting up particle board in the back of the garage near the area where his work shop is. I think on his way back from Lee's school, he'll be making one of his almost daily visits to Lowe's, because he mentioned running out of particle board, or was it insulation. Incidentally, Lee looked so nice in his uniform - khaki shorts and navy blue golf shirt. Of course, they have other clothes for colder weather. I was surprised that he didn't have a navy blazer included, but, no, they don't have them, he said. I should have taken his picture. I will, next time.
Okay. I gotta admit - I missed being at school yesterday. I realized that I kinda was more aware of the time of day than other days of the year. OK. 8:45 - helping kindergartners find their way, OK 9:00 morning announcements, (which I always did), and helping out in other ways. Being a reading teacher with other non-classroom teachers, we made it our job to help out with the little ones in the cafeteria at noontime, and earlier in the day, and at the end - finding buses. I guess it was nostalgic. It felt special... always...every time.
I wouldn't give up my life now, though! Plus, it was nice not to have to get up before dawn.
Subject Change: Readers from all over the world are sending Jil all sorts of compliments on his blog. There were seven comments on his last post, one being mine, where he described getting up before dawn in the jungle and starting work at his "command post..." on the top fourth floor of his house. He has an awesome writing style, and I am so happy that he enjoys writing. He has a way with descriptive language and quite a vocabulary.
Guess that's all folks.

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

Hi Mom,

Who is your third cousin? I know of Alice and Carol, daughters of Al and Dotty.

Heheh: If you think you married from a small family to a large one, I think Epril's family probably has Paul's beat pretty handily, even if you only count the relatives who live here in Jasaan and not further afield.

Mom said...

Jil - I realize that Epril has a large family...and that you are enjoying it every bit as much as I am!
My third cousin is Marcia McCarthy - who is my mother's brother's (Uncle Van) child, who died when Marcia and I were in our early 20's. He was 12 years older than your grandmother. Marcia lives on Long Island.