The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, September 4, 2009

Fridays, the special days

Here are the pictures I said I'd put in - note the railing and the skinny step at the top. Picture me going backwards one step at a time on this, and not having a railing. I would have ended up in the hottub again, but head first this time.





Fridays still seem special to me even though we're both retired. We try to go out to dinner - a fish fry, usually. Actually, it's a rare Friday when we don't go out. It makes it a really nice start to the weekend.
How different it was when we worked. (Now I'm contradicting myself) When I was single, I'd sometimes go out for a drink with my friends and then usually get a fish fry from Wegman's and bring it home to eat. They were delicious and made the most wonderful side dish of mac and cheese. Now, the idea of all those calories and fat content make me shudder. Now, I usually will order broiled fish with a wedge of lemon, or "take off" most of the breading of the fried fish, and eat 16 french fries, the amount of a weight watcher's portion. If I order a baked potato and eat it dry... yuck... and you can't find lite sour cream in restaurants. Thus the french fries are the best of both potato worlds, except for veggies...of course, which I order if I'm feeling terrifically angelic. That doesn't happen very often (on Friday nights).
I'm back at Curves - trying for three times a week! I've been coming home and feeling okay the next day - if I skip a day between going. When I think I used to go five times a week or more, it's still not as good. But what an improvement, since I got back from Florida when I couldn't walk to the mailbox and back without my knees/legs hurting. I even had to sit down at the weight watcher line when weighing in. I'm pleased to say that I lost weight this week...almost twice the .8 lb. I had been losing. I'm watching my salt intake too, and trying to drink water, especially in the morning. So - my weight loss has made me able to be more active. It is a very very slow process.
I can't believe that I've written so much about myself today.
Got a lovely long note from Cousin Carol. She seems well, and adjusted to the heat of Florida. She doesn't have a cardiologist appointment til next year, which is great news. She and Alice have been going to water aerobics which seem like a great way to exercise. I'm all for it, and perhaps when we arrive next year - I'll try it. Perhaps we'll try it together. I say perhaps because the weeks goes by so quickly, and I don't want to give up Curves. Add to it maybe. Right now, I'm leary of overextending myself because of the past couple of months.
As mentioned above, Paul has painted the steps to the hottub and I have added that picture to this entry. Plus a picture of the old steps. Can you see what was my problem? And, I added a pic of the lattice work Paul has begun to put around the bottom of our deck to keep the little critters out. He really is amazing... all he does. The other day, he told me there was a critter that has taken up residency near our house... a snake. I asked him to describe it... and he said it was little and liked to sun itself. So be it. At least it won't be under our deck. He talked about giving it a ghastly death by lawn mower, which I hope won't be. The snake's a little critter and doesn't deserve an ending like that. (You can tell I'm a city girl.) Although I wouldn't be upset if it died of natural causes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I will certainly TRY to get into the 21st century and reply to the blog and not just via e-mail to my dear cousin (who pours herself into these almost every day). Have a wonderful holiday weekend! Alice

Mom said...

Alice - so good to hear from you and know that your comments will be seen by others. Ex. Jil and Nancy. Thanks for the comments about my blog. I appreciate it. YOU also have a wonderful holiday weekend!
Stay cool.