The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, September 28, 2009

Definitely a busy weekend


I like those times where nothing is planned/or written in stone...but things just happen.
Oh my gosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh! I wrote Lue's age as 88 - if you got that "edition" ohmygosh,ohmygosh, ohmygosh. Lue - it was A. TYPING. ERROR!!! Believe me!!!
It was Lue's 78th birthday Saturday, which is just so hard to believe. Friday evening, I called her and made plans for her to come for a birthday dinner on Saturday. Meanwhile, Sharon, Paul's daughter, called her to tell her she was making a birthday cake for her. So we combined forces and had a lovely, if I may say so myself, dinner for Lue on Saturday night: BBQ'd chicken breasts, hashbrown potato casserole, various vegetables, cole slaw, cake and ice cream. Paul's family, and in-laws (Lue, as an example) have so much energy and joi de vivre! (I don't speak french, or usually write it, but I do think that's correctly spelled). The kids were able to go in the hottub after supper, in the rain, that they found really neat. They liked the lights that flashed and changed colors. The cake was delicious - a boiled raisin sheet cake with lemon icing - It was Sharon's mom's family recipe which I don't believe Sharon ever made before. It was one of Lue's favorites, though. She took some home, left some for Paul.


Yesterday, we went to FUMC (First United Methodist Church of Horseheads) at their 10:30 service, after stopping for breakfast at a small luncheonette nearby. There was a coffee hour afterwards and several people came up and introduced themselves, which made me/us feel better. As Kermit says, It's not easy being green. Or different. Or unknown. Or strangers.

The choir sang a beautiful rendition of On Eagles Wings, which is the solo I played a couple of weeks ago. Neat.


Late yesterday afternoon Paul suggested we go to to an organ concert at Grace Episcopal Church in Elmira. I thought that was a very unique suggestion. So...we went. The place was packed! We had to park wa-a-a-y down the street. Good thing my legs are doing better! The concert was "to celebrate the completion of the Solo Division and rededication of the Grace Church organ." We sat pretty up close. The world-renowned organist, Thomas Murray, has been on the faculty of Yale University for 28 years, and is the University Organist. Wow.

I only wish I could have seen him play because other than his head bobbing up and down, the keyboard and foot pedals were not visible to the congregation. His feet must have had to fly during some of the foot pedal solos. I think it's possible that organists can burn a lot of calories. Perhaps that's my problem in life...I should have continued with those organ lessons. When there was an intermission, half way through the one and a half hour concert, Paul and I went o looked at the organ. Amazing such sounds came out of it. The Sanctuary was magnificent - Lots of old, polished carved dark wood, two story high ceilings with each "story" having a set of stained glass windows. The ones on the top were in greens and golds - in a kind of Monet style. Two-foot high candles on three-foot candleabras near the front. Marble statues. soft lighting. I'm sorry, my description just doesn't do it justice. The sound came from 4,397 pipes.


Paul is upstairs hammering. His project now is the upstairs areas. He's made plans, and we've studied them together. My amazing husband amazes me with his creativity and do-it stamina. He's put in a door to the "attic" which is over the garage. Note: We're now calling the upstairs, the upstairs, and the area over the garage, the attic. He's begun with the electric wiring of the upstairs and the attic. I'll get some pics, of all of that, soon, so you can watch the progress.
So - guess that's all for now, folks. What's happenin' in your neck of the woods?

No comments: