The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Thursday, February 3, 2011

We're Back. . .

It seems so long since I've blogged. Time passes differently when you're away. It seemed longer than it really was.



I probably mentioned this before, but if so, I'll repeat myself. . .
Two away-things happened at the same time for us. Family events.

We left Ft. Myers Airport -Paul flew to California to see Brenda's choral group perform in "Romeo and Juliet" at Modesto. I flew to Chicago to help Nancy with my grandchildren while Dan was away at a conference. Jil stayed here and worked, and Gracie kept him company. Paul flew in to Chicago Saturday, getting there Saturday evening, and we flew home from Chicago together. . .

on Monday - and missed all the hoopla related to that awful Monster Snowstorm that Chicago and the whole east coast had, which began a day later, on Tuesday in Chicago. Nancy said schools were closed, and she was very happy - she had time to get more caught up with school work.



I had a chance to bond with my little granddaughter, Evie - who is four months old. Paul met his step-granddaughter for the first time. What a cute age - she smiled a lot and she laughed out loud for the first time when I was there. Nancy got a sitter and on her birthday, Friday, we went out shopping in the morning and she got some clothes, and then we had lunch out.

Then, that evening we took the kids to a pizza place around the corner. It's not your usual pizza place, as it has appetizers, wine, and desserts. Vincent "quietly" informed the waiter that it was his mother's birthday, and we all(the waiters, other customers) had smiles when her dessert arrived with a candle in it and he (and I) sang Happy Birthday to her. Very cute. Nancy is 39. That's hard to believe. That makes me very old.

So - a related story: Vincent is very interested people's ages. Last time I was visiting with Vincent, he asked me how old I was. I said I was Old as Dirt, and that I was 70 years old.
A couple of days later, Vincent and Dan were speaking with a visiting professor (not sure of the facts, but it was an older person) at Northwestern.

Vincent asked him how old he was. He said - 71. Vincent said - Oh, you're Old as Dirt. A lesson learned. I will try to be more careful what I say around him. At least I hope I will, Dan. I understand. Please accept my apology.

Oh. . .It is good to be back! We were in the renovated pool area near the clubhouse, yesterday. Carol O. and I were in the hottub - which is beautiful and seats 7 now! The pool water was very comfortable too. Eat your hearts out, you northerners. No. I'm not sorry. Well, maybe a little bit . . . It's kinda cloudy today. No pool.

Nine AM Tuesday I had rehearsal with the group I mentioned in my last post. (I was so very very tired from being away and traveling.) They're doing a lot better. One of the male members of Showtime had sung this song before, and he came to the rehearsal and helped them a lot. He suggested that they all sing melody rather than learn parts because there was only a month til the show. Great idea. Sounds good. Added another voice to the chorus too - my next door neighbor, Crystal.

I also had a rehearsal this morning with a soloist, using the clubhouse piano. That was ten minutes! Then, I had time to go do some errands afterwards.

Tuesday, we accidentally gave Gracie the leftover cat flea dip, rather than the small dog one. It had been put in the same outside package with the small dog one. It was stronger and she had a reaction to it. She became quite lethargic and her normally happy curled tail was as straight as can be. She didn't want to be near either of us and wouldn't come when called. She was very unhappy.

I can tell you one thing, she'll not get that medication again. We threw it away. We're taking her to the nice lady vet down here and get her set up with something else. As soon as I finish here, I'm making an appointment with her. Gracie is back to normal now, and was okay, even yesterday.

Still . . .this lady vet helped us a lot with her last year when she was a little 2.5 lb. puppy. She's now 4.5 lbs. Huge dog. Jil gave her a bath in the kitchen sink this afternoon, and she looked like a drowned rat . . . zooming all over trying to dry off.

That's all the news from The Woods here. What's happenin in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: