The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, September 17, 2010

Facebook and Ancestors

I'm just not familiar enough to the Facebook idea - even though I joined up a couple of months ago. I found a three-week old second response from my "namesake." She's the one whose intriguing picture was of her on a motorcycle. But . . .She's since changed the picture and looks like a kindly mature lady like me. At least that's the way I picture myself.
For those of you who may not be aware:
I typed in my first name (with the unusual spelling that my parents gave me) and my maiden name on Facebook a while ago - just to see what happened. Well - I got six, yes six, people with the same name and spelling! I was really floored. The top one had the picture of this lady on the motorcycle with a helmet on - and from the looks of it, about the same age as I - and I decided to introduce myself.

We've been trying to find a common ancestor or home in Germany, but so far nothings come up. Her family came from a town near Berlin, Germany in 1870, that began with a T. (I don't have it handy.) Ours came earlier according to the soda bottle I have in the attic with my maiden name on it. Don't laugh. Well, it has a date on it. Like "any port in a storm" . . . "any record in a storm". If any of my relatives read this and know where our paternal great great grandparents came from and they could let me know, I'd appreciate this because I'd like to keep up the correspondence with this intriguiing person. She also said she knew of relatives in Brooklyn who had a scissors business and she has inherited a pair of scissors with "our" last name on it. The business folded in 1930. Sounds like a depression-era story, doesn't it?

We have another dull grey day here at the Woods Edge. Paul has left for his daily trip to Lowe's. I take that back. He didn't go yesterday. You should see the work he's done in the "library" which is what we've decided to call the middle room. I'll try to remember to take pictures so you can see. The other night when we went to Lowe's, we windowshopped for carpetting. We were going to put down wood flooring, but decided that it would be better, sound-wise, to have carpetting overhead.

In Jil's most recent posting, he said he's trying to teach Epril how to ride his motorcycle. He's the only one in the family over there who knows how to ride it. It's good she's learning. You never know when it could be needed. He said she was nervous. That's good. There's nothing wrong with being careful.

Got some really exciting news from Carol O. - It seems she is renting in Circlewoods next year for three months! Isn't that great? She's so excited. For years - it's what she always wanted to do and now she's able to! Congratulations dear friend. It'll be so nice to have you down there near us!

I'm off. To see the world? nope - but to Bath. Lunch with friends, Carol, Ruth and her mother, Emily, and to get a haircut. I had to cancel my appointment a couple of weeks ago, and now I look pretty bad. Unfortunately, our lunch will be before my hair appointment. Oh well.

And. . .what's happenin' in your neck o' the woods? Really. I'd love to hear!

No comments: