The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, May 23, 2011

Lots of little and big things

Last night I put the Sweet N Low in the fridge. Paul told me so this morning when I asked him if he'd seen it. Isn't that an early sign of something or other?

Monday mornings. . . I love. Paul apologized (what??? As if he should ever apologize for making a mess) for a large pile of papers below his computer chair. Seems he's cleaning out his desk and finding all sorts of interesting papers. I didn't realize our wedding reception/open house cost that much. Ah - but think of the memories! Hard to believe that anniversary #4 is coming up.

Gracie always plants herself on a spot between the two of us. I was amused that she was here in the computer room gnawing on a bone surrounded by her toys. I asked Paul if he'd brought the toys in. No. She'd done it.
She comes over to me, puts her front paws on my arm when I'm typing, to ask me to throw a toy. If I do, my computer chair is situated so that toys barely misses Paul's head. Luckily they're all soft and fluffy.

Yesterday I almost fell asleep in church. This isn't unusual. Our minister has very boring sermons.
But I really like her. Her Bible Studies are wonderful, and she has a great rapport with everyone. I just wish my mind wouldn't wander so.

Another gray day. We're certainly due for a spell of good weather. Not just have a good day here or there.

We've enjoyed Nancy, Dan, Vincent and Evie's Mother's Day flowers til today - when they reached the end of the road.

Congratulations to Dan for getting tenure at Northwestern University! That is quite an accomplishment. We're all so proud of him. Both of them have tenure, and life continues to look up for their family!

The pile is gone and the papershredder is full. Now, I look at my messy desk and feel guilty.
Perhaps it'll give me an incentive. Along the same line - we need a new paper shredder - it no longer turns off by itself and Paul says, and I agree, it's leaving a mess of shredded paper on the floor when it needs emptying.

We had a most unusual evening Saturday night.

Our newspaper had a small article about a group called The Elmira Keyboard Quintet. I probably wouldn't have noticed it, but one of the performers was, Onalee, the organist at the church I used to go to. How intriguing! Yes. They were putting on a performance at a church in Elmira. How would they do it? Did they each have a keyboard? Was the music written for five people? How could five people keep in time?

I persuaded Paul that we should go.

So. . . There was a keyboard, a piano, and an organ. The ensemble had two on the keyboard, two on the piano, and one on the organ. Then - it blew my mind - there is music written for three people on one piano! The sound that came out was very full and exciting!

I spoke to Onalee afterwards and asked her how it was written. She said that sometimes its written with two on top - side by side, and the third, down below. She said the third have a hard time keeping track - forgetting where to look when the pages are turned. The best have three staffs, written one under the other, so everyone can keep track of where everyone else is.

I'd go it again. Paul enjoyed it too.

So - what's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: