The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A $$$ Bone to Pick with Amazon

Paul gave me a Kindle for Christmas two years ago. At that time the most expensive ebook was $9.99.

Now, if you want to get a recently published ebook Best Seller - you have to pay $12.99, $14.99 and even $19.99 (for a 1,000 pager). Very few are $9.99.

Sometimes these ebooks cost more than paperback editions of the same books! By a couple of dollars. Now - Why would I buy a book that isn't real. . . that I can't share with other people? (Which is one of my favorite things to do.)

I try to think of other reasons why people would pay that much, and I have a hard time coming up with reasons. I do know the $$$ discourage some people.

Okay. Granted - they have free books - such as old classics. They also have free really really great and inexpensive books from indie (independent) writers. And I've found some wonderful writers. But - These writers aren't publicized much and you have to search online for them on the Amazon.com site, or find them by word of mouth. Thank you, Nance.

So, when I read reviews or hear about a book I'd like, such as Times Bestsellers, the ebook invariably costs $$$ more than I'd like to spend.

It's very frustrating. Amazon says the publishers set the price.

I don't know if the publishers are trying to set ebooks up for failure, or what they're doing. I can imagine them saying: "You like this book? You want it? You'll pay through the nose for it? It's yours. But - Don't worry. It won't take up any space on your crowded bookshelf. And those big clumsy books? They'll weigh next to nothing on your Kindle. And don't forget - as an added bonus - you'll still have your ebook forever."

So I still use my Kindle - but differently - I'm still reading ebooks on my Kindle.

For example: I researched the book "Songs of a teenage Nomad." Have any of you heard of it? I hadn't, but searching on Kindle ebook lists, I found it. It had good reviews (5 stars). I enjoyed the sample sent to me, so I bought it. I paid about $7.00 for it. And I like it.

So - what am I trying to say? Kindle has changed. I've changed. I think Kindle's changed because of popularity. The publishers are getting in on the $$$ bandwagon. Amazon seems to say their hands are tied. I know I've changed my reading habits. So - I'd say. . .A little of us both have changed. I don't like it much. Them and Me.

And life goes on.

So - what's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: