The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, July 23, 2010

Gracie, Arizona, and Ponderings. . .

Weather report today: Rain, cloudy, more rain. Yesterday was beautiful - low 80's, low humidity. So. . . if you like rain, gray skies, today is the day for you.



Paul and I had drinks on the deck last night with Gracie joining us (for conversation and entertainment.) We've been kinda lenient with her as far as leashes go, but we're going to have to confine her now more often, because she was off the deck like a flash when she heard people out front talking. Paul raced after her - yelling "treat!" "treat!" "treat!"



She looked back and weighed having a treat. . . to seeing who was there to play with her. She even did her "sit. Stay." routine. . .for a second. But then she was off. Several minutes went by, but Paul didn't return, so I went inside, got Gracie's leash, and started for the front.



I found two sets of neighbors conversing with Paul. Gracie was wriggling in his arms. Little Chloey, the part beagle/jack russel terrier, was there and Gracie wanted to get to her in the worst way. With her leash finally on, I took over and let her get closer to Chloey. She licked Chloey's muzzle, and Chloey loved it. Now you have to realize. . . everyone's afraid their dog will hurt Gracie because of her size, accidentally, of course, and they steer clear of her when she's out front. Because we're with Gracie all the time, she seems normal size, but then when she's near other dogs - well, we come back to reality.



Until a better solution comes along, Gracie will have to be on a leash. (except for zoomies, on our property, when no one is around. )



I can hear Paul hand-sawing in the room above my head. We picked out all the items needed for the bathroom, the other night, at Lowe's. He picked up the tub and Surround sections the other day and brought them home in our SUV. There were problems with the size of the Surround. It was two inches too high, so it didn't quite fit, but he thought about it, and he can fix it.



Did I ever tell you that, when I was a child, we almost moved to Arizona?

I think I was 5 at the time. I was all excited about getting a horse, which was promised to me if we moved. I knew I would be the envy of all my friends. My grandparents on my father's side, owned a soda factory in Brooklyn that they wanted to expand to Tuscon.



Why, Arizona? I don't know. It was a grown-up decision that they didn't deem necessary to share. The four of them set out to drive the distance the summer I was 6 and my brother 8, and check out the area. My mother's mother who lived with us, along with her two sisters, my aunts, who lived next door, planned to take care of my brother Bob and me. I imagine they were to be gone over a week. However, my grandmother took sick, and they had to come home in a hurry, so that was the end of their plans to move to Arizona.

Remember. Cause and Effect. I was only 5-6 at the time, so my memory of all this is colored with my young age.

There probably were other reasons too, besides my grandmother getting sick.



Which comes to the reason I mentioned all that in the above paragraph. I feel like Arizona could have become my destiny. How different life would have been. Not better, of course. Just different.



And when I read about Arizona, now a days, I'm thankful we didn't. I wouldn't want to be involved in all the rigamarole about illegal immigrants and the new law that is being tested. I feel sorry for these people - on both sides. They have an awful problem with drugs, and crime, and they feel an obvious need to contain all this to preserve the decent life decent people should have.



The other day I was reading the editorial page of the paper about this and how they can "blithely legitimitize telling people (that a tribe) is destiny. . .that you and I are each individually answerable for the crimes of those who merely look like, talk like or pray like us. . .a nation can blandly condem someone, not for his own crimes, but for the crimes of some of his tribesmen." It'll be interesting to see what comes about for all this.



Getting up late has its disadvantages. It's now almost lunchtime.



So - what's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: