The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Hot Saturday...a Rainy Sunday...

It's amazing how much weather has to do with your mood. Coming home from church this morning, I thought... if it wasn't raining, we'd see people outside, working on their gardens, lawns, jogging, walking, riding bikes. You know what I mean. Instead, all we saw were cars, coming and going, the windshield going back and forth, and generally no one to be seen except in the cars as you passed them.
I like the summer church schedule. It's early. You can go and be home before lunchtime or, if you have the inclination, you can go out to breakfast. We did just that this morning and ran between the drops to a little luncheonette we've discovered near the church in Horseheads. It was freezing in there - the a/cing was on...too cold! We asked the waitress to see if they could turn the temp up, but they couldn't. Sometimes it pays to ask. It didn't this time.
To get back to the church: As a lot of churches do, they're having special music during the summer months to give the choir a break. My good friend Carol Hollenbeck has been a member of this church since she was a child. I met Carol through Curves in Bath. She still goes to this church even though she lives on Keuka Lake near Hammondsport and Bath. Carol sings in a female quartet that believe it or not, her mother formed years ago called The Treblemakers. Obviously this is not the original group! They sang today. It was nice because we had a chance to reconnect. I am familiar with the Treblemakers, as I helped them with some Christmas events when their accompanist was away. I had a chance to meet her too today.
I am preparing some music to play next Sunday. This means practice time for me each day. I like that idea.
Yesterday, Lue and we joined the Corning relatives to see their 11-year old son's allstar team play baseball in a tournament in Elmira is known as a place Samuel Clemens (or Mark Twain) lived and wrote several of his books. The ball field the kids played on was Huck Finn Field. It was uncomfortably sunny and HOT and they had a double header scheduled. Those poor kids - having to play two games in that heat. We took umbrellas, sunglasses, golf hats, water, to keep us comfortable. There was a half hour between games, and Lue had to be home, so we had to bring her back to our house where she left her car. After a brief rest, we returned to the game. Unfortunately, they lost both.
Lue came back for dinner. Both Nancy and Jil have made BBQ chicken using their father's mother's recipe. I was the only hold-out, and it began sounding good enough to try again after 15 years. I'd always cooked it, but never BBQ'd it. Poor Paul was feeling left out, I think, as I had taken over his job. Totell the truth, I was a little nervous, as I had never made it before, just prepared it. It turned out pretty good. Not sure if my customers felt the same. They were very polite, tho. When you're used to one way, it's not easy to adapt. I enjoyed it.
That's all for now folks.

4 comments:

Nancy Molden said...

Hi Mom, Did you parboil the chicken first? I've found that that makes everything go easier and better. :)

Mom said...

Absolutely. I wasn't married to your father for 28 years for nothin! He had a fear of uncooked chicken.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Jil Wrinkle said...

I'm glad you are enjoying your new church, and playing the piano there. I actually looked at a new Yamaha upright piano for sale the other day at the mall when we were shopping for motorcycle helmets. It was $4,000. I didn't realize it would be that cheap. I'd love to buy a new piano but (a) have no place to put it, (b) have no real time to play it. Also, I imagine that my house, as open to the tropical climate as it is, would be a poor place to try to keep a piano in tune or even functional. Oh well.

Remember to let the flames of the BBQ just barely touch the chicken when it is cooking, so that it crisps the sauce and turns it a little black. Dip the chicken in the sauce often.

Mom said...

Thanks for your ideas, Jil. Paul seems to think I didn't bbq it long enough.
New piano? That sounds wonderful. It would do my heart good to know you had one. I would suggest, however, a digital one that didn't need to be tuned. I have one in Florida and one here.