The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Company, Tablecloths and Old Tables

Here it is August 6th, and the temperature this morning was 56 degrees. I'm cold. It shouldn't be that cold in early August, should it? I have a sweater and jeans on.

It's been busy in these here parts. We're trying to have dinner parties, planning gatherings for all the folks who haven't seen our house yet. Yesterday we had two couples from Corning come for dinner. The wives, of whom, I've taught with. Rosemarie and Billie. I stayed a week with Rosemarie and Ron in Shanghai when I went to China and Thailand a couple of years ago. Their husbands worked at Corning glass together in different departments. That last sentence does not make sense, and yet it does. Billie is a wine connesieur, so she and her husband brought 3 bottles wine. Red, white and rose. Billie is also an antique afficianado. She volunteers at an antique store in Corning. She kept teasingly saying that a lot of our things didn't go in a new house. Wouldn't we like to get rid of them?
Rosemarie said she'd check at Wegman's and bring a dessert. She couldn't find something that fit the bill, so she made a delicious chocolate cake, with home-made raspberry sauce and vanilla, raspberry and white chocolate ice cream on top. Totally un-weight-watchers and perfectly delicious. We cooked steak on the grill, had corn on the cob and baked potatoes and a bowl of cut up fruit. So we ate pretty magnificently. Back to weight watchers mode today.

We have a table that has 9 leaves. Total. It can be as small as 48" round, or as large as the 9 leaves. In the china closet is a shelf full of table cloths. Taped on the door is a chart saying which color cloth goes with which number of leaves. When we moved, we lost the chart, but found it on the computer recently so I printed it out. Paul said he didn't know if that was the most recent chart. It didn't matter. At least I can see which cloth goes with which leaf. The 9 leaves fit 144" tablecloths. We put three leaves in it for 7 people. (Billie's sister was supposed to come, but she didn't. )
A tablecloth of 144 inches means that the table will sit 12-14 people. All the grown-ups in the family. (5 adult children, spouses and Paul and I) The kids go to the other tables. It's good that Paul and Donna both came from large families, as their tables are built to fit large numbers. Our kitchen table was in his parents' house and he remembers lunchtimes, having many people at it. What I can't get over is the servicability of these tables. They've lasted for years and years. Paul said they have numerous coats of whatever makes them last so well without dings and scratches. ( The word for the numerous coats escapes me so I'm writing around it.)

Back to the subject of weight watchers: I have lost 10 pounds in three months. Not much, but I haven't been able to exercise at all due to my leg and feet problems. Paul seems to think that may be the reason. I had to give up my membership in Curves 6 weeks ago. Note: I have a T Shirt from Curves that shows I'd had 500 workouts...so you can see how devoted I was.

Surprisingly good news: Over the past ten days, I have noticed that my aches and pains are gradually disappearing. The plantars fasciitis is almost gone. My left-leg limp has almost disappeared. I have started not using electric carts in large department/grocery stores. Other than some leg tiredness, I haven't had any other problems.
I had one doctor's appointment this week to check on the circulation test I had...and they found no problem. Good. Next week I have my appointment with the bone doctor (orthopedist?) and then we will find out what the x-ray and open MRI can tell us. Whatever it is/was, I'm feeling almost healed. Praise the Lord. Now...how to protect myself from it happening again. That problem was really limiting. That's the problem. So...After the next week's doctor's appointment, we'll see if he recommends if it's okay to go back to Curves. I always feel so good after going. To Curves that is, not the doctor's appointment.

That's all folks.

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

You should ask your dining room table for the secret of longevity.

It must be nice to have things that last so well. My desk here is only 18 months old and already the veneer is peeling off.

Mom said...

Good to talk with you today, Jil for your birthday.
Yes. If I could ask my dining room table for the secret of longevity, I certainly would! Could it be the humidity that causes the veneer to peel? How about some good glue!
Have fun at your party.