The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, October 1, 2012

It doesn't seem possible that my last posting was Sept 18th.  That's hard to believe.  BUT believe it or not - we were busy.  (I wasn't being lazy.)  Doing what?  Lots of some little unimportant, but in my eyes meaningful things.  Which means I'm hard pressed to pin down what's been going on.  But I'll try. 

Talked with Brother Bob last night.  He's doing so well.  He's home now and going through rehab at Venice hospital.   He asked if we'd gotten the van back. 

And that reminded me that I hadn't written in a while.   YES!  Finally, that Thursday we picked it up.  It's driving very well.

We're still aggravated with the place we took it to.   We are enjoying having two cars!

 As a coincidence, though, the same day we picked up our car,  Paul's daughter Sharon was in an accident that probably totaled hers. They're still trying to get an estimate.   She's fine, thank goodness!

 She was driving alone, the car in front of her had to stop quickly.  Sharon stopped quickly.  The car behind her, with a young female driver, didn't.   She had been reaching for her water bottle.   So Sharon's car was sandwiched between the two others.  What a mess.  Sharon's in-laws are lending her their car til they get another, or this one is fixed. 

Lue's been away all weekend, but should be coming home today.  She and Greta are visiting with her son Michael and family.  They have another Bernase Mountain dog, so Greta had companionship the same size as her.  HUGE. 

Wednesday night, it was Lue's birthday.  We had her friend Ruth and her for dinner.  It was  also my granddaughter, Evie's second birthday.  So I called her and she sang Happy Birthday to me on the phone.  All two year olds are adorable, but mine is especially. 

Paul, Gracie, and I went to an apple orchard up near Watkins Glen the Sunday before yesterday.  It was a beautiful day.  Lots of families were out, the flowers were at their peak, children were being pulled in wagons that would be full of apples on the way home.  We didn't pick apples, but we bought them inside the store along with an apple peeler.

  I was really interested in making an apple pie, apple crisp.  You name it. . . I was about to bake.  I thought the apple peeler would save work, and it did for a while, but then it stopped peeling right, and became a pain.  It took most of the afternoon to get the pie done, and the apple crisp.  Everything  tasted delicious though.  We had the pie for Lue's birthday dessert instead of cake. 

My good friend Carol O had her second knee replacement last Tuesday.  It went well, but aftwards, she had an unpleasant surprise:

 When she had her first knee replacement, she wasn't 65 yet and medicare hadn't kicked in.  At that time, BCBS said she could to go to a nursing home for two weeks and get herself taken care of while she began her therapy.

 But because she is able to use a walker now, and can get around, Medicare says they'll not pay for a nursing home.   She's home alone now and trying to adjust to taking care of herself.   All I can say is yuck.    She found all of this out after she had a "reservation" at the same place, had the operation, and was ready to leave the hospital.  Sometimes life can be tough and this is one of those times. 

Luckily Carol has lots of friends nearby who can be there for her.  I wish I were closer.   Carol's sense of humor was showing when she said she put out a Halloween flag, that said "The Witch is In."

Saturday afternoon we went to a Surprise 50th birthday party for Paul's nephew, Stephen P.  held at a nearby firehall.  Lots of people there I didn't know, but it was nice. I got to "place" a lot more people in  my mind.  (Who belongs to whom and so forth.)   Lue of course wasn't there, as she was away for the weekend.  Sharon P (Paul's other sister in law and mother of the birthday guy) made potato salad for 75, plus deviled eggs.

But - it's been gloomy up here!  More clouds than sun.  And it's jacket or sweater weather.  I'm finding it difficult to find things to wear.  Makes me yearn for Florida.  It'll be here before we know it.  I just have to be patient.

Speaking of Florida: 

Son Bill and daughter in law Epril are in the process of looking for an apartment to live.  They think they may have found one in Punta Gorda which is about 45 minutes away from us.  Looks like Epril may have a job too.  Things are looking up for them and we are as excited as they are.  They've made a lot of friends in that area.  Good.   

Well, how're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: