The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Frankenstorm kills the best made plans

We've been hemming and hawwing about leaving here Sunday, tomorrow,  before Frankenstorm arrives or after.

 We think after seems a better idea.   After Paul had to drive through all that rain last Friday to the wedding, we're not anxious to repeat it. . . there's also a possibility of snow in the mountains.

 And besides we were to visit our friends Marcia and Hal in NC.  If we left tomorrow, Sunday, we'd have to by-pass them in order to go the safest way.  They live on the coast, near the outer-banks.  Now, even though we'll be leaving later on in the week, we'll still be able to spend a night with them.

Even though we e-mailed back and forth, I still will call them and we'll plan the details.

  Also - we're not coming North for Christmas this year, so other than our trip to Chicago to Nancy's for Thanksgiving, we'll be settled  in Venice until May. 

We heard from Bob and Bill that our next door neighbors, Crystal and Bob,  arrived around a week ago.  It'll be good to see them.

Speaking of Bill - good news!  They got approved for an apartment in the apartment complex they just loved in Punta Gorda.  There's always a matter of plans. . . . papers to sign, moving out, moving in.  They are so excited.  (As are we.)  Epril's gotten several job offers too, which makes it so wonderful.  They become renters on November 1st.  Moving in, close to that date.

Paul had a very nice birthday.  It was a little quieter than we had thought because Ida was sick and Sharon didn't want to share her germs with us.  We appreciated that, but we missed them.  The guys, Dave (coach), Lee and Charlie were at football practice that started at 6:00.  Sharon stopped by with a cake for Paul.  It was delicious. 

 That reduced our count to 6 for dinner.  Ruth P., a good friend of Lue's and ours, Lue, our Corning male relatives,  and us.   I did make the sauerbraten from a recipe on the net.  Somehow, it wasn't as strong a flavor as I would have liked, but the gingersnap gravy turned out well.  I would make it again, but try a different recipe.  I wanted one for the slowcooker, so that limited the selection some.  I had to be out earlier in the day.  The meat marinated for four days, so that wasn't the problem.   We'll have it for supper again tonight, along with the pickled beets Paul made.

Paul got a phone call from Edna, his sister, plus a card from her.  He also got a card from his sister, Bonnie too.  He heard from his brother Bob last week.  All his brothers and sisters are older than him, and he turned 78.   Howard, the closest is 80.

Friday was Dan, my son-in-law's birthday.  I sent him a card with a gift but I thought it would arrive either today (Saturday) or Monday.  So, I called him - late - 9:50 Chicago time, and woke Nancy up.  Dan's at a conference.  I knew that! But it slipped my mind when I thought he'd think we'd forgotten him and called.  So my mind was there, and it wasn't. Nancy called Paul Thursday night and Evie wished him a Happy Birthday, as did Vincent.  He was very impressed by how clearly she spoke.  I had called her for her birthday on Sept 25th and she sang Happy Birthday.  Cute.

Paul got a string trimmer and a Keurig coffee maker from me.  He wanted the string trimmer, but the Keurig coffee maker was a surprise, I think.  It was hidden in the trunk of my car.  He had strict instructions not to open the trunk before his birthday, but he used my car to get some groceries, and might have seen it.  If he goofed, he didn't let it slip.  He's such a good guy. 

Alicia and Howard had a Keurig machine.  They used it last weekend when we visited,  and it seemed like a good idea.  Paul is the only one drinking coffee nowadays.  I can only drink decaf now, so I'll have one decaf occasionally.  He likes both kinds.  Every night  I would make  him 6 cups of decaf a for the next day,  and ended up throwing a lot of it out.   Now he can make it himself when he wants it.   It'll go to Fla. with us.  Alicia gave me a website to order K-cup coffee.  It's a bit cheaper.  www.Coffeecow.com;  I'll wait till I get to Florida to order it.  I got a supply in for now. 

So - we're here till Sandy's Frankenstorm comes for a visit, and then we'll leave for the Southlands. 

How're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: