The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recipes bring back memories.

Wednesday is here again.   Paul corrected me the other day after I told people that we'd be leaving in two weeks.   It seems it's three weeks.  Gives us time to get things done!

 He's busy with his list of "to do's" before we leave.  I just recently found my last year's list.   It's pretty much what I want to bring down there again.  There's always something new, however.  I must remember to add them before I forget.

I had promised Paul that I would make Beef Stroganoff for his birthday, so that meant finding the recipe. 

My sister-in-law, Carole,  gave me a recipe box as a wedding shower gift, (1964) and it had been used for many many years. It was stuffed (really stuffed) with recipe cards.   I've wanted to do something more with the cards that were in there.  It was always so time-consuming to find the ones I wanted.  My mother had a recipe book - where she wrote in recipes.  I still have it.    The recipe box always reminded me of Carole and always will.

 I don't write recipes very often now.  Because, with the internet and so many sites to find really great recipes, the ones you print out can become favorites too.   Paul said to me that I can always print the ones from the internet out again, but I find I write on them - giving suggestions to myself for the next time, so I don't want to lose my original copy.

 A year ago, I went to Hobby Lobby and got a loose-leaf book with pages between plastic.  This book is just wonderful!  (It travels well to Florida too.) 

  Each time we use a recipe from the internet - if we like it - we put it in the book with all the suggestions of how to make it next time. 

Sometimes Paul uses internet recipes, and sometimes I do.   I've increased the size of my book two times so far.  There are also recipes we've used from the Sunday paper.  I've gotten recipes from friends, relatives, Nancy, Epril.  They're in there.  Also some of my mother's recipes from her book.  Plus some of Paul's relatives.  All favorite recipes. 

Anyway - Yesterday I located the recipe for Beef Stroganoff in the recipe box.  But as I also looked through it. I found others I might like use again.    Recipes can bring back such wonderful memories of people and times gone by.  I'm going to put some of these in my "recipe book".  I'll either type them out, or put them in the original form.

 I found myself making a pile.  Some need re-writing.  Some are difficult to read and I can remember re-writing them long ago, so that I could use them. Some were duplicates.    I'm going to re-write the Beef Stroganoff recipe.  It's two-sided and some of the print is small.   Print it out and put it on a page. 

In two weeks we're going to Jen and Ryan's wedding up near Boston.  She's Lue's granddaughter. We got an e-mail from the Maid of Honor requesting a recipe or two so she could make a book up for Jen.  How nice.  Good timing.

 Gracie will be with Carol and her dog Micky when we go.  She'll be so excited to see him. We're very lucky we found Carol and  that Gracie  really loves going.

Went to Curves this morning. There were lots of women there. I think Curves is wonderful for women my age. How many of us would grace the co-ed gyms of the younger generation? I can just see me next to some young chick. Ha. That would be a lovely sight. I find Curves does help my back and other aches. I've been going for ten years and wonder what I would have been like without it. 

Happy birthday to step-grandson Lee. He's 17 today. We've been invited to come for pumpkin pie tonight at 7:30. I imagine his other grandparents will be there too. October is a busy month for birthdays. Besides Paul,   Lee's younger brother, Charles has one on the 30th.   Dan, my son-in-law, has one on the 26th.  Plus there are several anniversaries.

Bill and Epril had a dinner party for two couples this past weekend.  Glad to hear that.  Their friends were from Sarasota and Ft. Myers.  So they traveled quite a distance. 

Got an e-mail from Carol O this morning.  She's using a walker to go up and down her street now so she can enjoy the fall weather.  Good for her.  Sounds like things are going well. 

Paul just said Toyota is recalling 7.34 million cars. Mine will be in it. He said it's no big deal - just power window switch. We haven't had any trouble with mine. 2005-2010. Such is life.

Lunchtime.  Must go.  So . . .

How're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: