The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Things are definitely looking Fallish.

 Or I could say Autumnish - that doesn't sound or look write.  Ha.  Autumnal

I opened the garage door this sunny morning, and every tree within eyesight was either orange, gold, red or green (fir trees).  Really really gorgeous.  It's a lot like Spring when you forget til it happens how beautiful the trees, bushes and flowers  are. 

 A lot more of the leaves are coming down.  Paul thinks this may be the BIG drop.  Even the slower trees in front are finally losing theirs.   Paul's been keeping up with them and mowing/picking up the ones that have fallen.  It won't be such a big effort for the last haul. 

Earlier in the year, I thought we'd be starting out for Fla. before now, but things (life) happen.  Weddings, meetings, planned and unplanned stuff.  Now we won't be  leaving til after the last  weekend of October.  Lots of time to pack.

 And we're going to stop overnight to see our good friends Hal and Marcia in NC. whom we haven't seen in a while.  We hope to reciprocate and have them visit  us at our home in Fla.
They didn't come up north this summer. There'll be lots to talk about and catch up on.

  Should be interesting to see how Gracie and their cat, Cleo, get along.  Probably won't.  Cleo's at the age where she doesn't want to be bothered by a young energetic pipsqueak, and Gracie will probably be intimidated by her.  I'm guessing  Cleo weighs 20+ pounds.

Recipes:  I looked and copied my mother's recipe for beef stroganoff for Paul's birthday, and put it in my book, but decided I wanted to look for something that I could put in the crockpot and get out of the way, earlier in the day.  I found one.

 I let Paul read it, and he said - "that doesn't seem like what I really wanted - you know the one - the beef one that is sour and sweet."  He obviously meant Sauerbraten.  So I went back and found  a crockpot one.  It needs to be marinated for 36-72 hours, so the timing is good -  With a day or two to play with.  After we get back from the wedding.

 I'm trying to think of something to get  for the  "man thinks he has everything."  His wife doesn't count (my rule) when it comes to giving him presents.  He doesn't want any. BUT -  She is allowed to do whatever she wants. . . . to let him know how fond she is of him. 

I had some business to attend to in Bath earlier this week, so by chance, I was able to have lunch with Carol O, Ruth, and two school friends, Pat B. and Sue W..

 Carol looks great.  She's going to Maine to visit a teacher-friend.  She's taking her walker, just as a precaution.  But she looked really good and feels well.  Walking with a cane.    Ruth's 95 year old mom is back in her home near Buffalo where her three other daughters will take care of her.  She had been at Ruth's house for quite a while. 

 Naturally, the five of us are all retired.

 While there they recognized a whole bunch of teachers from Bath, who came in and sat down at a long table.  Carol said - "don't they look tired?  Do you think we looked tired like that? "  Of course we did.  All women who work, at that age, look tired.  They have families to attend to, work to attend to.  Life is very very busy.  Who wouldn't be tired. 

I think of my daughter Nancy - she has two children ages 6 and 2 and is expecting the third one in February.  And she's working fulltime.  Like so many others.  Such as my step-daughter, Sharon.  

As I said . . . . Who wouldn't be tired.

On the other hand - we all looked well and rested.  We earned it, and they'll find their time will come. 

And then they'll think the same thing when they look over at a table where some young teachers are. (And remember.)

I got a note from Lue - she remembers Steven Coleman and thinks the same way as I do.  Great minds work the same.  Right, Lue?

No comments: