The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, June 20, 2011

This and That. . .

Paul's been busy outside all morning putting siding up on the shed. It's almost finished on the front side, and looks great. I'll wait a bit and then take some more pictures.

Fathers' Day: We went to church and the minister had all the fathers that were over 70 stand up. My goodness - what a group they were. Paul said to me afterwards - I bet she wouldn't do that for the women! I agreed.

We had a reservation at 1:00 for brunch at the Hilton Garden Inn over near the mall, and we were disappointed in the whole thing. It was just an "okay" brunch. Not great. Couldn't help comparing it to the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel where we celebrated Mothers' Day. The selection of food wasn't half as nice. The music was fine - a classical musak - but not the "live" harpist we had on M. D.

So - you ask - why didn't we go to the Harbor Hotel? Because they weren't serving brunch. When I called, they really pushed their sit-down fathers' day meal. How strange. Why wouldn't they serve brunch on Fathers' Day? I think they lost a lot of customers. Most young families like the idea of a brunch where their kids can pick and choose what to eat.

Coming out of the Hilton, we got in the wrong teal colored Toyota Corolla. Same color, same year, same inside. It took us a while to realize it - BUT - they had the Toyota floor mats (we don't) and there was a wrapped present in the back seat. That was such a strange feeling. We laughed so as we hurriedly got out and located our real car a few cars down.

We had that happen once before, down in Florida, when the exact same car we had -a white 2001 Chevy Malibu - parked next to us in the Circlewoods Clubhouse parking lot, and we got in that one. BUT - hadn't we locked the car? Left my pocketbook in there? Did we forget to lock it? and this one was unlocked and my pocketbook wasn't there anymore. Oops. Rather stressed out for the moment.

When I was at Nancy and Dan's last time, I saw a wireless 5-day forecaster in their kitchen which I thought would be perfect for Paul, because he loves things like that a lot - so I ordered it from Brookstone. " Accuweather.com forecasts - beamed to you free." We set it up - and it failed. Unfortunately, we're in an area that does not get reception - more than 1 bar. It needed two or three. We tried it all day. No luck. So - back it goes.

I bought the weather forecaster at the beginning of May, and reading their return policy - it says - they'll give money back up to a month, but after that they give a gift certificate, which will be fine. He can pick out something he'd like! I assume they'll send a catalog along with the g.c.

We are researching kennels for Gracie. There's no real hurry, but if we wanted to go away, we would like a place for her to stay. I searched the web yesterday and found quite a few. But -there's nothing like a Real-live Expert Recommendation.

So I called Lue this morning. We're going to check out the place she's used for Greta. But we all know without seeing it, it should be great because Lue would only allow Greta to be in a great place. Of course, Gracie is only 4.5 pounds, and Greta is 85 pounds. I was concerned about her (Gracie's) size so when I checked out their website, they had some videos of their "guests" as they call them. They categorized playtime according to dog-size. Good.

This week is filled with six-month doctors' appointments, and so our answering machine has been ringing off the hook with confirmation calls. I guess it's a necessary thing at our age. It keeps the elephants away. And if that needs explaining. Ask.

That's all the news from this edge of the woods. How're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: