The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Shredding Papers and Writing.

It's our anniversary today.

A day or so ago, Paul asked what I wanted to do -
and I said- go out to dinner.
Where?
I don't know.
How about the Hilltop Inn? (I've never been there - except for a wedding reception. It's on a hill overlooking Elmira. ) Sounds good.
So that's our plan. I'm excited.

It's a gray day today. And cool. I'm doing wash. Paul's getting the spice rack set up. We found another place for the spices! I'll show you a picture when it's all done. I'm excited.

Yesterday I set about a project that I really needed to do, but it's not quite completed. . . as I write. I'll have to finish it eventually.

Clean off the area around my computer/printer.

As most people know, desk neatness is not one of my finer attributes. Cleanliness - yes. Neatness - no. I try, but it always seems to get away from me. I know - "a place for everything, and everything in its place." BUT - Some things I never have found a place for - and these are the items that are getting troublesome. And there are papers to get rid of. Paul said to shred them. But - there's too many papers. It'd take forever.

I want him to have a fire out back and I'll add them to it. He said it's against the law. (But I know he's made a fire, before, with kindling he's found out there, because a couple of evenings, we sat and enjoyed it. I'll just add my papers. He doesn't need to be an accomplice. He can turn his head as I feed them to the fire.)

I am noticing more and more that people don't e-mail. At least I haven't been getting them lately - except from businesses. Seems a shame. People don't write letters or e-mail any more. At least I don't get them. People can belong to Facebook - which I do. Kind of. I'm not sure how to answer people.

Speaking of writing. Here's a subject that I've written about before - a long time ago: Cursive writing.

Recently, someone said that because people don't use cursive - that in a generation or two, they won't be able to read it. If that happens. . .What'll happen to all my journals from years past? BTW - they're all g-rated. Will no one be able to read them? I refuse to think that.

My family has had writers for several generations. My son and daughter are gifted writers. My daughter's career requires publishing papers. My grandfather wrote some beautiful poetry. Even had it published. A great great aunt went to Asia and her letters home were kept. My dad kept a journal.

I began writing when I was 11 - and kept it up . . . through high school, in to college. I began writing again in 1976 - til the present time. So . . .What if no one can read them? . . . AND doesn't everyone think that they, themselves, are important? As I said . . .They're all G-rated. They don't have locks. I wrote them for public view. You might say - it's an old-fashioned blog. It's a look at a life in the 1950's,60',s 70's, 80's, and on and on. What if they're not readable?

One can argue that blogging is the same thing. Well, yes, it is. But - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Delete vs. paper. There are some sites that try to fix this problem - and they'll make it into a book for you.

Well - have I rambled today! Sorry about that. Now I can hear Paul's hammer going, up on the shed's roof, and I think my wash should be dry. Time to get back to that. And see what's happened with the Spice Rack. . .

How're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

4 comments:

Ruby said...

Getting organized is not easy when you have stacks of papers and you don't know what to do with them. It's a good idea to shred those which you no longer have a use for. As for cursive writing, with more and more people using computers, it's a safe bet that less people would be writing with a pen and paper anyway, which is probably good if you're into keeping shredding to a low.
Ruby Badcoe @ Williams Data Management

Mom said...

You have valid points, but I think you should read my Nov. 2013 post called Going, Going. . .
It is about how important cursive writing is. It gives some positive reasons for continuing it despite the fact that The Common Core Curriculum hasn't included it in its content.

Ruby said...

Getting organized is not easy when you have stacks of papers and you don't know what to do with them. It's a good idea to shred those which you no longer have a use for. As for cursive writing, with more and more people using computers, it's a safe bet that less people would be writing with a pen and paper anyway, which is probably good if you're into keeping shredding to a low.
Ruby Badcoe @ WilliamsDataManagement.com

Ruby said...

After reading your other post, I'd have to agree on your points about it honing motor skills, and that it takes less strokes to write something. It's not like I'd like for cursive to go away, but there's little use of it elsewhere now. For example, in the workplace, people barely write, except when filling up forms, and cursive isn't usually used there. And there are some that can't even write printed legibly, let alone cursive. That being said, it is still important to learn cursive writing, and it's a pity that the pupil on your post wasn't able to reach the letter "Z". It can still be used in more personal or intimate types of communication, as nothing is sweeter than a hand written note from someone you know. Preferrably in neat cursive handwriting, that is. Have a good day, and sorry for the earlier mixup.
Ruby Badcoe