The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday after Christmas

I don't know about you, but I have a hard time figuring out what day of the week it is when the holidays are upon us. Here it is Tuesday morning and I was thinking it was the day to put the trash out. (Friday) (There's so much!) Then - Of course it seems like Monday (to our family) because yesterday everyone was here for brunch by eleven o'clock. Doesn't that make it Sunday in your mind? It does to me. Confusing, isn't it.

So. . . Monday was the day we decided we could all get together, as one unit, to celebrate. Missed you, Brenda and Nancy, but our home-away-from-home-relatives seemed to both have a very Merry Christmas away from us. That was a good feeling, not necessarily in the happy category. Next year we hope that circumstances change: That they can come. We know that each year, lives and circumstances change and we have to adjust to what is best for all.

Nancy put a picture of Yvonne (Evie) in a pretty dress and Santa hat on her facebook page and labeled it "Santa Baby." Remember the song? Very apropos. I will be seeing Evie and her brother at the end of January when I will be flying to Chicago and baby-sitting while Dan is away at a conference and Nancy goes to work. She was able to take the semester off and has been home since September when Evie was born.

Jil's blog told of a very merry Christmas weekend - visiting and bonding with his cousins and uncle Bob. I feel they've really pitched in and helped him adjust here, away from his wife, Epril, in the Philippines. The paperwork is still going on for her coming to the States.

I would say I kinda got off track there from the Brunch subject. We had a delightful brunch - I, as usual, cooked too much and everyone brought something to add: breads, muffins, etc. We certainly have a lot of Strada left over. It tasted even better this morning. Thanks to my dear friend, Marcia, for the recipe. I made two batches for 20 people. Much too much. There was also homemade macaroni and cheese - lots of leftover there, even though the grandkids loved (inhaled) it.

After we ate, the grandkids opened their gifts from everyone. Then they had their (what we call) white elephant raffle. They each get a number, and open gifts in order. If they see an opened gift they like, they can take it from the other person. I'm sure most of you have done that before. The kids went out into the snow and had a snowball fight and went sledding on the hill. Meanwhile, the grown-ups had their white elephant raffle.

Later on in the afternoon everyone was around the big table - the one that opens up with 5 leaves, playing card games. Two different games were going on at each end of the table.

Gracie is adjusting to lots of company. She barks and barks when they arrive, but manages to quiet down after a while. She still shivers in the snow, but has learned that zooming makes her warm up. She even lay down on NeeNee's lap when she was watching a video last night.

Last night Jeff, Dorothy, Alaina, and DJ left for home after coming in on Sunday afternoon and staying over Sunday night. Our Corning granddaughter is here for two nights with NeeNee. It's always so good to have her here. She has such a good time! and we enjoy her. Plus - The more the merrier.
I must share: Dorothy came up to me when we were alone, and gave me a big hug and said "thank you for coming back up North to celebrate Christmas. It means a lot to all of us." That made my heart feel good.

Speaking of good: Santa was very good to me. He gave me a new digital camera. I have lots of pictures to put up when I have time to do the necessary steps. Don't worry, it'll be soon enough. I also got a digital picture frame that Paul hung up on the wall near the first floor guest room wing near the loveseat. We added a lot of pictures to that for everyone to enjoy and had it switched on all day. When it's not showing pictures, it can become a clock.

Everyone knows how much I love to read, and I got several gift certificates from Amazon to use on my kindle. What a wonderful feeling it is to be able to window-shop on-line at my leisure and decide which e-books I wish to read! Then in 60 seconds I can read them! Or a sample from them. I usually do a sample first.

Paul and I are going to lunch with Lue and her sister, Sharon, in a while. Sharon, my step-daughter, dropped her kids off here to be with their cousins while she works today. Greg and Noi will be "watching" them. Plenty of left-over food for lunch for them! I had some strada for breakfast. Not very hungry now.

Well - will write again soon. Hope you all enjoyed yourselves. Thank you for your cards and letters. I will get my newsletter written in January. It's too busy right now to think about it.

So - what's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: