The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Challenging Times for the Feeble-Minded (me)

My mind was fully awake at 6 AM yesterday morning mulling over the logistics of Christmas shopping, while I was here in Venice for everyone. . . here in Florida, in St. Louis, in NYS, in NC. It was the usual stressful, sinking feeling of being behind enough to shake me into action before it was too late. I knew some things I needed to get, so I began early morning at Walmart. They didn't have what I wanted. So I started over next door to Books a Million to get something else. I got inside and I heard my phone ring in my pocketbook. Strange. It had a different bell-tone.

After a while, I realized that it was Paul's phone, not mine. He was obviously at home, looking for it. I found an empty table in the coffee area, and after taking all of my "stuff" out, I found it at the bottom of my purse. I called him back, but got the answering machine. I paid for my purchase, left the store, and returned home. He was just taking Gracie for a walk. He laughed. (He is the calmest individual I know) Here's the explanation for me having his cellphone in my purse: I didn't remember this happening, but I guess it did. It seems Paul gave me his phone for safe-keeping when we were at the doctor's office late yesterday. I forgot about it being there. (alert: doctor's appointment: All okay. Nothing serious.)

Anyway - on the way home from Books a Million, I thought about all this rigamarole of Christmas shopping. And in my mind, I made a very bright decision. No need to shop in stores for everything. I decided to take advantage of one-stop computer-shopping.

I sat down and let my fingers do the walking. Of course, it took me all morning to find my first purchase of what I wanted, at a good price. My next stroke of brilliance was to send them to the giftee. For Example: Evie. Vincent. Their presents are scheduled to arrive at the St. Louis address with their names on them. This is where my grandchildren will be for Christmas.

I love Amazon.com. e-books, which I discovered when I got my Kindle. But Amazon has so much more for sale than just books, with good prices. Often less than other places.

I got a gift certificate from Brenda for my Kindle. Okay. Perhaps you can learn from the following. And take the following as a lesson as an example in stupidity from me. . .

Amazon stated that anything I buy will be subtracted from the g.c. So - they took my g.c. amount and subtracted that from the total amount of my order. Nuts. I'm very selfish and wanted that g.c. only for me! my wishes! my e-books!

I decided to "speak to a real live person." I couldn't find the 800 # to call because they don't list it on the site. (Isn't that amazing?) I looked it up on Google - and there it was. As so often happens, I got someone in India (I'm sure, since he was difficult to understand.) Very easy to eliminate the g.c. from ordering items. Just click the check-mark in front of the g.c. to eliminate that step. Duh. Any simpleton should know that. So now I was happy as a clam. Great news. I could order and not use my gift certificate! All was okay with the world.

So - Can you see why my day was completely taken over with Christmas gifts? I didn't get to Curves. I didn't blog. I didn't get much ordered, but I learned a lot. Hooray for me.

Thank you Epril for your nice e-mail. It was good to hear from you, my dear. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me again.

Epril, my daughter-in-law, from the Philippines, is actively engaged in the steps it takes to come here and live. She and Jil miss each other very much and are looking at her arriving here in Florida in April. Epril in April. I love it.

So - that's all the news from this edge of the woods. What's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: