The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Mid-week Already

Where is the time going? Doesn't seem possible that it's the middle of the week already. They say that as you get older, the time flies. BUT - I'm not getting older, so what's goin' on?

I did manage to get to Curves on Monday during their mid-afternoon spot, which is usually the 1-3:00 time that they close. It's been a pleasant surprise to find that this Curves has such wonderful hours - like that, and their Saturday time also - that goes on to 2:00 instead of their 10-11:00 closing.

As most of you know, I'm scheduled to have my thyroid taken out up at Strong Hospital up in Rochester, next Thursday.
So - I decided I needed a new night gown. I went to Macy's at our local shopping center yesterday morning and found a suitable light blue one. I looked for a robe in that style and color, but they didn't have my size. So - after reading in the dressing room- "Haven't found what you want? Have our sales lady check, and if we have it, we'll order it sent to your house free of charge."
So - I did just that. The sales lady looked it up on the computer, and lo and behold - it didn't come in my size. Okay. The tag on the nightgown said - "Look for a robe to match me." So - she called a manager. He looked it up on the computer - and lo and behold - it still said the same thing. Alright. They wrote the info down for me and suggested I contact Macy's.com.

I left the blue gown there, and decided to see if I could find anything at The Bonton, another department store close by. And lo and behold - there was my nightgown, same color and size, and a robe - same color and size. Macy's would have given me a 30% discount. Bonton offered a 25% discount. I talked with the manager there, and asked them if I could do better there than at Macy's. Sure - I got a 15% discount coupon added onto the 25% discount.

Now - I thought to myself - there's something wrong with Macy's. They should know that the robe comes in my size. That it's available in department stores. I spent a good 15 minutes of my valuable time with them looking all this up on the computer. So - I went back to Macy's with the information. The sales lady couldn't have been less happy to see me. It's obviously a job to her and not a calling. I was a little annoyed with them . . . But happy to have my nitegown and robe set. And cheaper.

Next Sunday we are going back to my old church in Bath. I've been asked to play the piano for summer music. I decided to play the same songs I did for the Methodist church - FUMC. However, I am playing a different arrangement of one of the songs. A little more difficult. (Nothing like putting pressure on myself.) I didn't want it to be exactly the same music. I really look forward to seeing all my old friends. And there are quite a few there.
An aside: Do you have reading materials in your bathrooms? We do. (I'm sure a lot of you do.) I'm always taking a magazine in and leaving it there. Well, here's what happened: I found the photo-member, address book taken in 2008 of this church and left it in the guest bathroom. When my friend Marcia was here with her husband Hal, last week, she enjoyed looking through it and finding old friends and acquaintances. Marcia was a 50-year member several years ago. I was a member since 1976.

Gracie had her second dog-obedience class last night at Petsmart. I brought my camera along because a St. Bernard puppy was supposed to join the chocolate lab puppy and Gracie, and I thought it would be a cute picture - the different sizes. However, the St. Bernard puppy didn't show up. I'm wondering if he'll be a "no-show." We'll see. Last night we practiced loose-leash-walking. (LLW)
An aside: Last week, the dog trainer suggested that we replace our extendable leash with a 6' leash, so yesterday I also went to Petsmart and got her a 5/8" X 5' leash to use. It's very pretty - pink with white bones and flowers on it. Kinda matches her collar, but not quite. I was surprised that it didn't bother her much. She's enjoying it. As a matter of fact, she's doing the LLW - as long as you have a treat at hand. We practiced it going around the store. They have two wide aisles, and the dogtrainer went between the other dog and Gracie.
She also learned - Down, and Wait-Release. The trainer does not use words, but hand signals. She says older dogs sometimes will go deaf, and because of that, its a good thing to have the training done silently with hand signals.

Cousin Alice has a piano in her dining room. She's piano-sitting for a friend who has to be away for a few months. I'll have to ask her why. I've never heard of someone piano-sitting. Anyway: Alice took piano lessons as a child and was pleased to find a book on it entitled something like"Piano for Adult Beginners." Exciting times. She knows I was a piano teacher for many years, so I'd be interested in that. Have fun, Alice!
Also - she'd engaged in war with a HUGE palmetto bug on her lanaii that didn't want to die. I wrote her back that I was surely glad I didn't have a home in Florida, as I wouldn't want to have to deal with something like that. She said it was big enough "to have a saddle." That idea is kind of revolting, isn't it. I've been told a million times not to exaggerate. Sure hope she is!

Guess that's all the news fit to print. How're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

1 comment:

Jil Wrinkle said...

Ah... Palmetto bugs. That's what they are called. I get them in my house all the time. I've actually given up trying to kill them... to much effort, and they don't seem to multiply in number if I don't.