The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, May 28, 2010

We've had two warm days here. . .nothing compared to you Florida people, so please don't smirk. It was in the high 80's and humid. Glad we have a/c. I was about to say that a/c may be the ruin of the human race. We're so used to it. If it stopped, we'd be disabled. Of course, that's silly - there's lots of people in the world that don't have it, and they adapt. A silly thought.

I can remember on Long Island as a child, not having a/c and having a big fan in the bedroom window that would draw in the cooler air.Or watching tv in the cool basement family room. My folks had a window a/cer in their bedroom and they offered for me to sleep in there with them. Mom and Dad worked in Mineola for the County executive and the Court System. In the 1950's the buildings weren't a/ced. So - when it reached 90 or above, the courts would close and they'd come home early. I can remember having supper upstairs in their bedroom. Usually something mom didn't have to cook - a cold plate. We'd go to the a/ced movie houses to cool off in the evenings.
The beaches were HOT, but I can remember going there and finding the ocean was finally warm enough to really enjoy it. Sometimes there weren't even waves, it'd be nice and calm. We'd have balogny sandwiches to eat and would have to wait a half hour after eating to go in the water - even tho - we never went over our heads - so that we wouldn't have cramps and drown! Mom would take us to the beach at least two times during the week, and three if we went on Sunday with Dad. That was every Sunday that the weather was good. There, we'd meet cousins, Alice and Carol and their folks and perhaps two or three other couples with their kids. Of course we'd bring home all kinds of sand in our bathing suits which of course landed on the upstairs rugs before we'd take our baths - and get it in the tub. Onthe way home, sometimes we'd stop at Howard Johnsons for one of their 48 flavor ice cream cones. That was bliss. Before Sunday steak dinner! And corn on the cob picked up on the way home!
It took me a long time to learn how to swim because of the waves. I finally learned in Jones Beach Pool, and mom would take me for swimming lessons there. I was not a brave soul by any means and refused to jump off the diving board into the deep water. To this day, I have never done that.
Well - I guess this was a trip down memory lane for me. I hope you " bared"with me!

Got a nice e-mail from Lue the other day, commenting on my Catharine Trail walk with Gracie. She said that when Greta is older and has all her shots, we can park our cars on either end of the Montour Section and take them both for a walk together. That sounds like such a nice idea! Can't wait for Greta to grow up. She's still too young. (Like Gracie is an oldster!)

It was good to hear from Lue - how are the rest of you faring? That's all the news from the Woods Edge. What's happenin" in your neck o' the woods?

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

Thanks for sharing that mom. That has real value in its reading to me.

Mom said...

I'm glad it was good for you. I try NOT to dwell on my past, or feel it's not interesting to others and don't want to waste their time.
Thanks for responding.