The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, October 2, 2009

Buttons, Buttons, Who's Got the Buttons?

We do. Okay, I'll explain.

We have collection upon collection of things here at the Woodsedge. When we were moving from Montour, I'd hold up something, hoping to toss it, or give it away, and the usual response was "Oh, no. We can't get rid of that...that's a collectors' item. That could be valuable."

We have had a collection of lunchboxes, tin cookie tins (and even one Aunt Jemima Glass Syrup Bottle) on display around the tops of the kitchen cabinets. I didn't count them, but I would think there were probably, possibly - 16 of them - all for people to look at and admire. It was time. We took them down today and replaced them with a collection of just about as many teapots that were in an attic box.

As we were putting the lunchboxes and cookie tins in a big cardboard box destined for the attic, Paul kept shaking them (rattle, rattle). So we knew there was something in them. And as we opened one after the other, it made us laugh. - We found many interesting trinkets: at least (and this is not an exaggeration) 1,000 buttons in one tin, others had matchboxes, and other small generic items that could be easily replaced. Some sewing items, plastic toddler toy pieces, foreign coins, key rings. Subjects were easily identifiable. Last year we had pennies stored in three cookie tins. We had a contest for the grandkids last Christmas with one of the tins. The one who guessed the closest amount, got the pennies. I'm not sharing how we figured out the correct amount. But we did. It was heavy!

I have to get back on track... I asked Paul - did he know there were these things in these tins? He said - yes, I did. (Okay. So - Who's to say what's valuable?) As they say - some man's trash is another man's treasure. Plus I heard that those Aunt Jemima glass bottles may be worth something...And incidentally, the teapots look lovely.

More old things: I needed to polish some old silver dishes. I thought there must be a better way than just using the silver polish. So - I googled it. Found a GREAT way to polish ornate silver, the kind that have the little designs and little areas that are hard to get to. This is unbelievable to me... this method really worked! After using the creamy stuff that comes in a jar that you rub and rub and wash, rinse and then do it over and over again till it looks presentable, there is an easier way.
Here's the recipe. You need some aluminum foil, baking soda, salt, very hot water, and the silver piece. Line your sink with the aluminum foil, add the hot water, baking soda and salt - and soak the silver piece in this for up to five minutes. It comes out sparkling. I wouldn't have believed it, but I checked several sites on Google - each had a variation of it. Be aware though, they all said to be careful of silverplate, as that can cause problems. It needs to be sterling silver. Maybe some of you were aware of this process, but I wasn't. Thus, my excitement.

It's another dismal day. I wish we'd have a nice pretty Fall, but... It is what it is. If you don't live here, you're not missing much. Let's hope that changes.

As you can see - not much news around here. Paul is still hammering upstairs, and sometimes needs my expert opinion on things...Ex. should a wall be moved this way or that. Only kidding. I am always amazed by his ability to see, be aware of, and just able to do so many things, solve so many problems. Plus he does share his thoughts with me, which I appreciate so much.

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

There is a show on Discvoery Travel and Living (or TLC in America? Not sure) called "Take Home Handyman" that Paul would probably enjoy quite a bit.

Nancy Molden said...

Hi Mom, the silver recipe sounds great! Of course, I don't know what of our stuff is silver and what is silver-plated, but it's still a really handy tip. Thanks for your phone call last night! Talk to you tomorrow-