The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, October 5, 2009

It IS what it IS.

It was a busy enough weekend to make it pleasant. Friday night it poured. Unfortunately we were unable to get to a Corning Football Game to see our majorette granddaughter, due to the inclement weather, but we did get to go to a fish fry over near the mall. As usual, there was too much food, and we took a good half of it home with us. We stopped at Lowe's and did some windowshopping for the new-to-be-but-not-sure-when bathroom upstairs. That was fun. I love going to a store and not spending money, just windowshopping. We looked at tubs, sinks, johns, mirrors. Now we have a kind of price list and measurements for the tub and the wall surround. Paul said he needed that info before the walls went up. Even I can understand that.

Yesterday, the sun came out and was perfectly gorgeous. We went out for a walk and lunch at Hanover Circle, which is the main shopping area for Horseheads. As the name implies, it's not a square, but five streets that meet there, with stop signs, and one without. It always makes me nervous to drive through that area, as I feel wary of everyone who comes to a stop. It seems like an accident waiting to happen. The Circle was quite disappointing as far as stores go. Several stores were empty/unused, and the few restaurants that were there, didn't appear to be open till noon. We did manage to find a subway-type place and each had a sandwich.
Afterwards we traveled on to the mall and visited Hobby Lobby - isn't that a silly name? It's a hobby store, as the name suggests, that was huge. Any hobby, you name it, could be found there, from astronomy to doll-making. There was a really big area devoted to Halloween - so we found two scarecrow for outside. (I did take some pics of them but I'm not happy with the results yet as to how they were placed, so I'm going to wait till we perfect it.)

Lue called Saturday night and invited us to Brunch at her house Sunday after church. And of course, we accepted! FUM-C is really beginning to feel comfortable. I think the people are starting to become accustomed to seeing us. As I mentioned in an earlier blog about this church, it's a different feeling to be on the opposite end of the spectrum...But I think they're like many other congregations - comfortable with their friends and church family, and shy about greeting new people. After church, they were selling fruit pies in the narthex as a fundraiser for a missionary in Zimbabwe. So we bought one to take with us to Lue's.

Lue had such a great brunch. We sat and enjoyed each others' company for around two hours, just eating (oh, my goodness...weight watchers - look out. No, actually it was fine. ) and talking and laughing. Her Bernese (sp?) mountaindog Maggie, like Ella our cat, has gotten on in years. She was asleep in the upstairs hall, but came down to greet us just before we left. Those dogs have a continuous smile on their faces, and with their tail wagging, are quite endearing. Both Paul and I love dogs. My dear brother Bob who of course knows us and (me especially) well, sent me an e-mail saying they had a 6-month old female papillion puppy that needed a good home and that since Paul's birthday was coming up, wouldn't it be a wonderful birthday present for him. Knowing the answer to that already, and not being surprised at the answer, tongue in cheek, I gave Paul the choice of the puppy or some tools - he said he'd like the tools. Puppies are great if they belong to someone else. Too much work. Incidentally, Bob -I'm sure - knew the answer to that before he wrote me.
I'm sure Paul would attack puppy-ownership, as he does everything...full force with much thought involved. Since being married to Paul, I've heard a wonderful philisophical statement that gives me comfort. And thus the title of this post: It IS what it IS. Some things cannot be changed. But...Perhaps it can, in the future...a long, long time in the future, but that would be another post! Tee hee.

2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

I think that at this point in your life, you should think of a puppy like a child: You want children (and puppies) to be of the sort that visit often and then go home with some other responsible adult after you have enjoyed having them around... not the sort that you have to care for daily for the next 12-17 years.

Mom said...

You are very wise, Jil. As is Paul. His feelings are exactly as you write.