The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Chicago Trip

Here's the big boy bed that Vincent asked if he could keep because he liked it. He also liked the counting book I got him. I had to read it to him several times each time we looked at it.

I liked this picture so much I printed it twice for you. Right. This is at the Pumpkin Farm that we visited on Sunday. I had no idea that Pumpkin Farms were so exciting! I don't remember taking Nancy and Jil to one when they were little. All I know is that they missed out! There were numerous rides, a petting zoo, a jumping tent, all kinds of food, farm animals, a hay ride. We had to walk a lot, and I was so pleased that my legs didn't give me a bit of trouble. To me - that was a milestone. We walked and walked.


Poor Vincent tried to feed some piglets and one mistook his finger for some food. He cried and cried, but got over it, as you can see.








I have finished unpacking, done our wash, gone food shopping. It's getting close to suppertime, but I have a few moments to write about our trip to Chicago.





This is the first time Paul and I have driven there - each time we've flown. I can see the advantages of both. Flying, of course, is much quicker. Driving - you can take more things with you. (like Nancy's dollhouse, some silverpieces, and some antique china that I'd rather not trust to UPS.) Driving lets you see the country. I have to admit, I didn't know too much about the midwest because I never had a reason to think too much about it. Other than looking at Chicago on a map, and St. Louis also, I didn't give it much thought. I didn't know how big Ohio was, or how long it took to get through it. Indiana was small, and Chicago was so very close to the Indiana border. It certainly was easy directions - Get on I90 and go to Chicago. Even our Garmin Lady didn't need to say - "re-calculating..." as we never veered off the path. But...it WAS a long trip. We took two days both ways. We could have gone in one day, but 11 hours is too long for us. We enjoyed staying at motels and just taking our time.

Dan was at a conference in Maine til Sunday when he arrived home just before we got back from the Pumpkin Farm. We took them out to dinner on Sunday evening. We went to a really nice italian restaurant which requires BYOB - Dan went out and brought back some wine. The food was delicious and more than enough - Paul and I both brought some back to their place for them to have.

Dan's brother, Robbie, is staying with them while he's working at The Shed Aquarium. After Robbie graduated from college, he went to California to a two-year school to learn how to take care of zoo animals. He got a temporary position at Shed til Thanksgiving. I'm not sure I remember his "title", but he's working with the Beluga whales. Two of the whales are expecting and his job is to take care of them. He's so interesting to listen to and makes it seem so exciting. He really loves his work. Even Ivan is benefitting from him being at the house - Robbie trains Ivan to listen and behave. Not that Ivan doesn't.





Vincent is growing up. Since he began going to pre-school, it's amazing how he's matured! He IS a little imp - as most three and a half year olds are, and ALL boy. We took many photos of him, and as we were driving home, I was thinking - I didn't get a picture of their condo, of the three of them, or Robbie, or Ivan, their siberian husky. That will have to be next time.





2 comments:

Jil Wrinkle said...

I'd love to do a drive like that. It's going to be strange to meet Vincent finally when Epril and I come to America.

Mom said...

I don't think it'll be as strange for you, as Epril will feel coming to America - it's so very different from what she's used to - I keep thinking of the Moores' daughter-in-law, Eva, who came from the Philippines, and how difficult it was for her to get used to the culture/weather/people in the beginning. But she did fine after knowing us. People are people.