The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, February 8, 2010

A Problem Solved???

When we went to the new doctor down here a couple of weeks ago, he mentioned that the days I didn't go to Curves, I should walk. Well...it's not one of my favorite things to do. I keep thinking how much quicker I can get somewhere in a car. But then... I remembered that when I was first by myself, single, I did a lot of walking...and listened to books on tape.
That got me thinking, my new kindle, that I got for Christmas, could be voice activated. Wonderful! Could you get earphones for it? I checked the Kindle store. Yes! Plus Paul thought, in the meantime, I could maybe use the earphones from my ipod. We tried them. They fit! but didn't work. So...anyway I thought maybe I could do some walking this morning around the big Circle using the kindle with its voice activated. Would I be embarressed by the sound, meeting people walking? I know I had read a sample of Randy Pausch's book The Last Lecture. I wanted a book without a story-line plot that I had to follow...it was easier to walk that way. It was sort of an autobiography. At 10:40, I started out with my spring hoodie on (it was 57 degrees...okay laugh...northerners).
Off I went. I turned on the audio sound and started walking on the left side of the road. I finally got that rule straight. If you have wheels, you go with the traffic. If you don't, you go against traffic. I "closed" the book and began listening to it as I walked. (Last week I ordered a cover for the kindle, to protect it.) Okay. Not a good idea to just listen. Perhaps with earphones it would be better. I shall order them because I found out that when cars go past, I couldn't hear what was going on. So, I "opened" the book.
Reading and listening turned out great. There's plenty of time to get on the grass, so to speak, when cars are coming at you. Lots of visibility. No, I didn't stumble or fall. No problem there. Very level "playing field." I have to say I worried about stumbling, falling and smashing my Kindle. It was very comforting to know that it was protected by the covering.
When I got about half-way around the circle, (I believe it's a mile all the way around) I had to take off my jacket and tie it around my waist. I was sweating so...Somewhere after that, I noticed a car slowing down going my way. It was brother Bob. I'm not sure how close he was to home, but after that, the next time I noticed where I was, (I was so engrossed in the book) I was almost to the first pool by the entrance...I was on my way to Yummies! No, I didn't continue on for donuts, but found it amusing that I had gotten past our circle and hadn't noticed it.
I got home at 11:20 - I had walked for 40 minutes without realizing it. Good for you, Self!

So - how're you doin in your neck o the woods?

2 comments:

Nancy Molden said...

Mom, that's great that you got out for a walk! I think you'll grow to love it (if you didn't before). You have such lovely weather. And when you're back in Millport, that trail by your house is just beautiful for walking. Very flat (once you get on it) and easy. Keep up the good work!

Jil Wrinkle said...

Good job Mom. Epril and I started walking today as well. We had a lovely walk down to the river... but forgot to bring a camera. Hopefully we'll try again tomorrow.