The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Lull, Looking at Things From All Sides, Collecting Things

I've been using my camera a lot outside.  I'm trying to get decent pictures so that I can have one or two enlarged and put on the wall in Florida.  We have such a beautiful setting here, and during different times of the day, the sun comes through the trees and shadows the lawn so that the greens are different colors.

 Our flowers are pretty also - the colors are really sharp and bright.  BUT - The colors aren't showing up well far away.  We need a new camera. 

We are enjoying the peace and quiet of being home by ourselves for a while.  But looking forward to Nancy and Dan's visit the second half of next week. 

Heard from brother Bob.  He's home now after spending a week traveling after leaving us. He's been gone a month.   He and his little papillon, Martini,  left his friend Mark's house in Toronto.  Mark has a Bernase Mountain Dog - Bentley - who is a year old.  He's enormous.  Bob said Martin "ruled the roost."  Good.  I was worried about that.

 Bob traveled to Pittsburg, picked up his son, Paul, and the two of them traveled home to Venice.  Paul will be looking for a gunsmithing job near Venice.  He graduated from gunsmithing school in Pittsburg this Spring.   Anyway - Bob said Martini "is jubilant about going home!"  I wonder if he was talking about himself. . . Ya think?

We're in the process of getting to the end of our leases on our cars.  This is the first time I've leased a car, and it's rather disconcerting to me to have to turn it in.  I'm gonna buy my next one, but I'm going to wait til we get back from Florida since I turn my car in in October, and we leave then.  I can't see making payments on a car that will sit in the garage for six months. 

I'm learning how to crochet.  When Brenda and Noi were here, they got me started.  They were always sitting and crocheting and it rubbed off on me. 

 They taught me a lot, but when they left, I still felt I needed some more guidance so I am using Youtube also.  They have some marvelous videos that you can watch, for all kinds of things.  There's a lot of beginner crocheting, and what's great, is that you can stop the video, reverse it, watch sections over and over again.  Now it's getting to be fun to do.  I must admit, it was frustrating at first, but sticking to it has its rewards. 

We went to Dunn field to watch the Junior Pioneers baseball team play on Saturday morning.  It's nice because they have regular seating, it's in the shade (some seats), and it's not crowded.   It was a beautiful day.  The only unpositive thing was they didn't have decaf coffee.  Paul got some regular and I had a sip or two. I'm not supposed to have regular, due to health problems.   If we'd known, we'd have stopped on the way.   They frown on bringing food in, but if they don't supply it - too bad!

Afterwards, we stopped at the Christmas House - which is a gigantic old house that has every inch of every room in the first floor covered with mostly Christmas things. It's right on the way home and every time I've wanted to stop, so on the spur of the moment, we did.  It is filled with collectables, ornaments of every size and shape and kind. 

 They even had a huge display of The Christmas Story - complete with little figures of Ralphy, and the other characters, plus the house, the school.  The faces weren't the greatest tho.  So, I wouldn't consider collecting them.  I don't know why they don't make them better.  They'd sell a lot more.  One thing I'd like is a new creche for Florida, and they have some small ones at  decent prices.  Perhaps I'll go back and get that, when I have the chance.  Maybe after another baseball game at Dunn field.

I wouldn't start collecting things though.  Not at my age.  We're supposed to get rid of things.  Everyone I know has that problem.  Too much stuff.  What do you do with it all?  Especially the really really old old things that have been handed down for generations. I don't need new things.

I've heard if you move five times, it's like starting new. . .you're supposed to throw things out each time.  I've moved four.

 I can remember my first house that I built by myself, had a big basement and it was full of boxes.  I had a great couple who did my lawn and yard, and handy work.   They had a truck and came down to the basement and helped me get rid of a lot of stuff.  I can remember they had a little girl that was very very interested in my daughter's doll house, but of course, that went with me. And ended up at Nancy's.  Well, I don't think we've done that well getting rid of things here. 

Of course, Paul lived in his house in Montour for 50 years.  And we didn't build a smaller house.  We have lots of places to store things.  Have fun, kids, when we're no longer around.   Only kidding.  We're being very conscious of throwing things away. I hope it looks like it, and we're really trying. Really.  And I'm not going to collect any Christmas things!

So - that's all the news from this end.  What's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: