The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, August 19, 2013

Greetings from the High Seas

I finally have gotten in to my BlogSpot account!  We're out of the country, sailing aboard the Norwegian Star heading for Juneau, Alaska.  And I had to convince "them" that I wasn't a hacker who'd gotten into my system, but really me. We left yesterday afternoon from Seattle.  But, let me back track a bit:

Three weeks ago, I started having trouble with my right knee and knowing we had a lot of walking to do on our trip, I set out to have an X Ray done and perhaps a cortisone shot to both knees. 

The following Tuesday morning I had an X Ray.  It was read that Friday.  My GP's nurse was back and she hunted it up for me.    Usually it's done on the same day. (vacation times for doctors/radiologists added times on .) Sure enough, I had bone on bone on one knee and the other one almost the same disability level. I would need a knee replacement eventually - sooner rather than later.

Oh, great.  Just what I always wanted.  I have a lot of company, though - people who will be holding my hand at a later date.  Thank you all, in advance.  You know who you are!

 So - a substitute GP (not my usual doctor who was on vacation, but another one standing in,) said that I wouldn't be able to get in to see an orthopedics man because it wasn't an "emergency."  Ha.  Oh great. I was devastated.  How could I walk on shipboard the long distances?

 FINALLY Paul was able to get through to the doctor's office in Guthrie, our system, and I was able to see the physician's Physician's Assistant, who gave me the shots on Friday morning.  We flew to Seattle the next day, I had a wheelchair waiting for me at each airport, and they were a Godsend.  The shots were to take complete effect within a day or two.  So - each day was better than the one before.  I have my cane with me - and the trip has been a little bit unlevel - can't think of the right word, but it has helped me a lot.  I'm more stable than those who don't have a cane!  I'm like a new person.  It feels great! No pain at all now On Monday. 

We flew into Seattle, as I said, on Saturday.  What a gorgeous city - we flew in  around 5 PM - and the soft shadows on the mountains and the many- shades of green  landscapes, gorgeous lakes were picture-perfect.    Our hotel was beautiful - Holiday Inn Express -  we had a suite - and a nice breakfast the next day.  Our limo left for the ship at noon.  We were relaxed and refreshed after a good night's sleep.  Was I glad I had those shots!  We walked and walked back and forth between those security lines, like they have at the airport and I made out fine.  It seemed like miles!  You know what I mean. I'm sure.

 We really were tired by the time we got to our room.  (But nothing out of the ordinary!) We had a glass of wine, and had our supper, went to the first show of the cruise.  Which high-lighted all the shows.  Tonight they have a Frankie Valli (sp?) pretender with his \group.   Two shows 7:00 and 9:15.  Should get to see one.

We signed up to see the Mendenall Glacier and a Whale Quest tomorrow at Juneau.  We get to Juneau at 2:00 PM.  The tour is at 3:00.  I forget that, in Alaska, it's light longer.  The tour's 5.25 hours long.  And it'll be light even when we get back!

Well, that's all for now.  So, how're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

1 comment:

01 Lightning said...

I don't think you are on the Norwegian Star. Right now, that ship is between Stockholm and Copenhagen. I would guess you are on either the Norwegian Jewel or the Nor Pearl.