The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Glacier Bay and Ketchikan

Doesn't seem possible that we're almost finished with this week.  At the beginning we seemed to have all the time in the world, but now. . . it's almost gone!  Isn't that the way that vacations always go - in the beginning all the time, in the end - it's over. 

We had a nice day in Ketchikan (sp?).  It's a quaint larger fishing village - much bigger than Skagway, which was about two streets long and three streets up and down.  (make sense?).  Got a lot of good pictures.  The buildings are colorfully painted.  The fishing boats and the seagulls and the docks just make it all add up to being memorable. 

Two other cruise ships were here with us today - Holland American, and The Regency, a ritzy cruise ship was here also.  Paul said to check that out, he said he may be wrong.  Anyway - we were way, way back from the main street in town behind the other two ships, and I walked the whole distance back and forth and felt fine.

 My cane has been a godsend.  I asked Paul how far we walked.  Five miles?  (I was joking.) Paul said about a mile.  I'd say a little more.  Paul has been so good to me.  I really appreciate his patience and patience and patience.    We got a couple of tchatkas to take home with us at the souvenir shops.  Lots of the same things, but it's fun to look. 

Did I mention we went to Glacier Bay?  I realized when I wrote last, it was before that time.  What an awe-inspiring place that was.  Got some great pics, of course.  Wow.  They had a naturalist come on board and give a lecture as we traveled up and down the forty miles of the bay.  We didn't see any calving.  Wish we had.  You could see where the glaciers formed way up in the mountains and follow them way down to the water's edge.   It's so quiet there and the mountains, water are breathtaking.  The naturalist said they only allow two cruise ships a day through the bay. There was one behind us, but it disappeared up another part of the bay.  Smaller ships are limited also.   Private boats need passes.  Kayaks can come at any time.  No thanks.  I cannot imagine being in that cold water. 

It's been cold.  Good to have a lot of layers to put on and take off.  Which we did. Funny, but  lots of kids (and grownups) have been in the hottubs, the outdoor pools the whole trip.  No thanks.  We both forgot to bring our bathing suits, didn't even think about it, but I don't think I would have enjoyed that.  That's for the Caribbean.   The weather has been cloudy also for most of the time. BUT -  we got some good pics.  That's been fun.  There'll be a lot to delete when we get home.  Been trying to delete, but some (many) have slipped through. 

The food has been delicious.  As is expected, we've eaten too much.  Isn't that always the case?  They have ice cream available all day long. 

Tomorrow we land in Victoria, British Columbia, late afternoon tomorrow.  We have an evening tour scheduled.  The next day is Sunday, we land back in Seattle early.  We have a 3 1/2  hour tour of Seattle scheduled in the morning after we disembark at 8:30.  After that we pick up our car at the airport, and then head on our way to Scott's, near Spokane, stopping on the way at Leavenworth, WA.  Supposed to be a really beautiful little German town.  Can't wait to see it. 

I had to add minutes on to my plan because I enjoy writing so much.  Unfortunately you can't write ahead of time and then transfer it to the computer.  It isn't possible.  At home I can edit all I want.  Here, I write.  I publish. 

So - that's all for tonight.  I hope to be able to write tomorrow, but if not, we'll be back on shore soon enough.  Incidentally, I can't load anything onto my Kindle on board or in Alaska.  But I did read a book I had downloaded before I came.  The Unit.  A great sci-fi recommended by Nancy.  Enjoyed it. 





No comments: