The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bob and Jeanne's Glorious Adventure

I wrote on Sunday and have been meaning to write ever since we got back from Oswego on Monday, but the days have been flying by. 

First - I'm feeling ever so much better.  I can't believe what a difference a week has made.  Being back on the original medication is what's made the difference.

 Paul took me to my doctor's appointment  yesterday.  The doctor counseled me on the medication he wanted me to take.   It's the same medication I've been off and on for about a year.  It's very strong.  But. . . .it's the only one that works.

 Unfortunately, people have sometimes had bad side effects from this type of med.  My particular medication  hasn't shown any yet, but he said that the drug hasn't been used long-term long enough to show what could happen, but he had to let me know. 

I will be on three pills a day for three months.  The following month, I'll take two pills a day for two weeks, then one pill a day every day from then on.  ( Formerly, I would be on one pill a day for two weeks and then off it. This is the schedule I've been following for a year. . . when off the drug completely, the colitis flares up within a week.)  The doctor is seeing me again in a month. 

Our trip to Oswego:  We had a blast!  It was a beautiful day - blue skies, big puffy clouds.  A little on the warmside, not as warm as it is today - mid 90's, but Oswego, on Lake Ontario, had a cool breeze coming off the lake.  My body was still very achy from the colitis, so I took my cane, but didn't use it! 

Bob and I left around 10:00 from here and got to Oswego at 12:20 - right on time according to the GPS.  The trip was beautiful - partly on country roads, partly on the Thruway - for two exits.  Coming into Oswego from the west, we could see the "smokestacks" that we as Freshmen were required to know.  Huey, Louey, Dewey, Frank and Sylvester.  What memories. . . .

 The GPS took us directly to Bob's fraternity house.  We pulled up.  I had forgotten what a beautiful location it was!  - one street beyond the lake, with an expanse of lawn going down to a sea wall.  A "new" marina was a little ways away. Beyond that the breakwater from the left, reached out with a lighthouse at the end toward our right. 

The fraternity house was a disappointment for Bob.  At first it looked the same - but at closer look, it was really run-down.  Had a blue tarp on part of the roof.  Some of the wooden columns were cracked.  But it's been 50 years.  We wondered if people lived there or was it condemned. But we didn't see any signs posted.   There were two cars parked on the side, but it was closed up and no one answered.

 So - on we went - found Bob and Sue's first apartment building, the little park out front.   Everything was close by - the property where I think my sorority house was, had  two story apartments.

We drove around campus and found the original campus.  We figured it consists of 20% of the present campus.  It's still as pretty.  The new part - when you look off from the old - had a lot of huge huge buildings set up - and to the west, on the lake, no forests were left between there and the fish shacks.  We would go for their marvelous fish sandwiches.  We did go for a fish sandwich before going back home.  Rudy's Fish Shack - same name, same inside - modernized somewhat.  Picnic tables with umbrellas, out by the seawall,

 We made a brief stop at Cali's Florist - owned by a good friend from college, but he wasn't in.  We figured he could let us know about some things.  I left my phone number with the gal at the desk.

It sounds like we didn't have a good time, but we did!  It was fun to travel around - and even find out that our favorite bar was a parking lot!  It was a nice day, full day, and we were ready to begin the trip home when the time came.  I'm glad we went.

Lue said that Jennifer went back to Cobleskill and found the same thing - lots of growth.  It's hard to see change, but know it's inevitable.  Paul and I traveled through Cobleskill in May from our trip to Alicia and Howard's anniversary party in Connecticut.  We thought it looked beautiful.  I bet people say that about Oswego. 

No comments: