The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Check this out . . .

Paul's 22-year old granddaughter, Alaina, (and I'm proud to call her, my step-granddaughter), is a recent Peace Corp Volunteer in Uganda. She graduated with  honors from University of Rochester this past June,  and she began her two-year Peace-Corp service in November.

 Alaina comes by this naturally!  Her Uncle Greg (Paul's son) was a volunteer in Thailand.  Her Aunt Brenda (Paul's daughter) was in Botswana.  We surmise that this was in the late 80's and early 90's. 

Paul and Donna couldn't keep in touch with their kids as easily as Jeff and Dorothy can with Alaina: They not only have Skype now, but. . . .

Alaina has begun writing a blog telling of her experiences and it is very fascinating to read.  I started reading it today and  I think you all would like it, so I'm putting her blog address here:

http://alainawayland.wordpress.com;

She seems very enthusiastic about her experiences, and it's enjoyable reading.   I just spent 45 minutes doing so.

                    *********************************************

Speaking of all the bad weather they're having up north. . . It's hard to realize how it is when it's sunny outside, or at least the weather hasn't been really cold.  We've actually had some "winter" weather here.

 I can remember my mother saying that she enjoyed having this  "cold" weather so she could wear some sweaters and slacks, put on the electric blanket at night.  We're using our long pants, so I've had to do a lot more wash because we have a limited supply!  Our short pants are hanging in the closet awaiting use.  No water aerobics for a while.

We had a busy weekend.  Friday night we went to the Fish Fry at the Moose Club in Venice, and surprise, surprise. . . it wasn't crowded!  That's a miracle at this time of year.  Perhaps the cold is keeping the old folks away. Bob came with us, which we enjoy.  We also invited our next door neighbor Linda and our good friend Carol O.   So, even with five people, we found a table easily. 

Afterwards they came back here for some home-made pie.  (lo-cal!)

Saturday night, we had the Board Appreciation Dinner.  Carol O sat with Bob and us.   I accompanied my cousin Alice and her friend Audrey, on the piano.  This was mentioned on my previous post.  We were pleased at how well that went.  Unfortunately,  the dinner of ziti, meatballs and spaghetti sauce wasn't that good.  Rather so-so. 

Sunday, Paul and I went to the 9:00 Contemporary Service at church and saw my good friends from Bath, Carolyn and John.  They've settled in since mid December and happy to be down here.   We all commiserated about our friends up north.  Their winter has been very cold.  We can certainly attest to that by the short period we were there.

 It's too crowded to go to breakfast on Sundays, but we still try.  The first restaurant had too many people waiting, so we tried a second - there was a wait there, but it worked out. 

Early afternoon Carol and Alice came by to practice a Showtime song they're doing. "It Was Raining on Prom Night" from Grease.  Have any of you heard it? It's hilarious.  It can be found on Youtube.com

Epril and Bill came for dinner on Sunday afternoon with Uncle Bob.  My nephew Paul was also invited but he was working at the gun shop and has been working long hours for several days now. His hours are from 10 to 9 four days a week, but he's been working constantly for 8 days or more! As Bob says - they must love him there.  And it's good for him there's so much business.

Here's a fun-fact from Bill:  There're more Gun Shops in the US than Starbucks and McDonalds put together. . And why is this important for us to know?    Paul graduated from Gunsmithing School last May. 

We watched one of the football games before dinner. 

 I watched Seattle win the game and  I've decided to root for them in the Superbowl.  Here's stupidity first-hand:  That's where our cruise left for Alaska. When we got back, we had a tour of the city and I liked it.  We even saw the stadium, but I forgot what it looked like. 

 Epril had a bad cold and wasn't feeling up to par, but I gave her some over the counter medicine and I think it helped.  I meant to call her last night to see how she was doing, but it slipped my mind. 

There's so much more room for company in the new dining room.  It is a pleasure to have company. . . not that it wasn't nice in the old area.  Lots of good memories there.  Dinners, card games.

Paul is still busy working on the Kitchen Island.  It's really coming along.  I suggested putting  masking tape on the floor to see where it'll be.  We did.  It'll fit fine.  We're looking for lighting, and the top.  Not sure what it'll be made of.  I think we're going out this afternoon to window-shop.  .  Half the fun is in the looking. 

If I go out to the carport to see how Paul's doing, Gracie has separation anxiety.  We have to yell at her.  If she doesn't have at least one of us in her sight, she whines and becomes upset.  We've created a 5 pound monster.  But - just a sharp NO, and she stops.  Good dog.








No comments: