The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, May 20, 2013

It's been busy around here.
 
We had such a good time at the Clemens Center last Wednesday, the second and last night,  when we saw Dreamgirls!  Our seats were marvelous.  Dr. Beth, our dentist, who had the season tickets joined us.  The costuming, sets were beautiful.  I don't know how many times the performers had costume changes.  Some of costumes were under costumes they already had on.  Paul didn't remembered either  how many, and he said I don't have any idea.  A lot.  I would say - about 40.  Each more glamorous than the last.   It was more like:  Okay.  Hohum.  Here comes another spangly costume

 As far as the music went, I thought it was too loud.  (But remember, I'm ancient.) They had beautiful voices, the dancers were excellent.   Lots of color, lights.  The cast was very talented.  I could see Jennifer Hudson,  playing the part of Effie, before she lost weight with Weight Watchers.   Very glad we went. 

Saturday evening we took Gracie to her pet sitter, Carol, so we could go to Paul's granddaughter, Alaina's graduation Sunday from University of Rochester. Gracie was so excited.  I thought she might have forgotten them, but she didn't. 

We got to Alaina's house early, around 11:15. Dorothy and Jeff, her parents arrived shortly thereafter. The way the day went was: Big univerity graduation ceremony in the morning. Small diploma ceremonies for various schools throughout the afternoon. Hers was scheduled for 3:30. Alaina and her roommates had a picnic for everyone between the outdoor graduation ceremony and the diploma ceremonies. In spite of expecting 40 people there for the picnic, everything went quite smoothly because the afternoon ceremonies all took place at different times. So we weren't at the house at the same times. Her house is a next to the university.

 I can't say enough about Alaina.  Wow. 

 Her major was in Neuroscience.  There were 44 in her field.  She worked very hard all four years and you could tell. Listen to this:  She got five awards. 
GEBS Summer Scholar,
 Dean's Scholarship,
NYS Excellence Scholarship,
 Degree with Distinction in Research: "Characterization of Neuronal Lipid Droplets and Implications for Metabolic Signaling in th CNS", (say again?) 
 Phi Beta Kappa. 

She graduated Magna Cum Laude with an almost perfect 4.0.  The highest GPA in her class.  As you can imagine that all of Paul's family were so very very proud.  Her next step is the Peace Corp and then back to graduate school.

The weather is warming up today. I think it's up to 80, but I didn't check. Paul is out mowing. I think I'll take a walk with Gracie.  The lilac is out now.  And ours is finally grown big enough to have some decent blooms.    We had a dark purple, and a french lilac that has little dark purple blooms surrounded by white edges.  I've never seen any like that before. It is so pretty.  Paul brought some in the house.  I had forgotten how quickly they droop.  But they sure look lovely for a while.

I feel completely wasted today.  We went to Five Guys and had a hamburger - boy, it was delicious - but 52 carbs, cholesterol 75. . .don't know if it was worth it tonight when I write it down.  Yes.  I've been keeping track of my carbs and sodium (that was about 1150) for almost a year now, since I went to that nutritionist a year ago.  It's helping.   We also had the most delicious fries. . . a small helping which we shared, Paul reminded me.  Not good enough.  I'll go for that walk now.  But - boy, did that taste good.  I've been wanting some for a long time.  Maybe I'll feel less guilty after I walk. 

 


 

No comments: