The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Fussy Cut, Drunkard's Path, Stacked Posies. . . .

Home - one week.  Color is just bursting out around here. 

Lue and I had fun this morning.

 When I went to Bible Study Thursday morning,  the church parking lot was very full.  Uh oh.  Perhaps there wasn't any Bible Study. The lobby was packed:  People were setting up for a Quilt Show in the Fellowship Hall to be held Friday- Sunday.

  Knowing how much Lue loves quilting, I invited her to go.  (I wish Edna, Paul's sister, could've been there because she's a wonderful quilter.  She would have loved it. She's shown me some quilts she's done when we've visited.  But she lives too far away. )

 At 10 AM Lue picked me up and off we went.   Lue has a wealth of knowledge about quilting!  Remember.  I know nothing about quilting.    She showed me so much about it that I borrowed a pen from her and tried to take  notes to remember all she had to say about the many quilts that we saw. I got such a kick out of the words used to describe what she saw:

Drunkard's Path, Flying Geese, Fussy Cut, Log Cabin, Stacked posies.  I'm sure Edna knows what I'm talking about!

It really opened my eyes!

This afternoon, Paul and I went to our favorite nursery, Valerie's Gardens, and got some orange million bells, and purple bicopa. He put them in a hanging basket on our back deck. Looks beautiful. We had cocktails out there before dinner because the temperature was ideal. He got the big standing offset umbrella up so the sun wasn't in our eyes.
We had steak cooked out on the grill.

Sharon's kids came to visit Wed. - Friday. This time was so much easier. Last year the boys went to Notre Dame High school in Elmira - a half-hour/forty-five minute trip. Ida was going to Odessa school. I took her and Paul took the boys. They had sports practice after school so they were late getting home (with Paul.)

Now: They all go to Odessa.   Lee's a senior, has his own car, and drives Charles and Ida (10) to school. We stood on the porch and waved good-by to them on Friday morning, and they waved and called back to us - thanks for having us! They're good kids.

 I didn't realize how very popular those little boxes of sugar-flavored cereal were, until on Friday morning I asked - who would like French Toast? Which I thought was a perfectly marvelous breakfast that showed a lot of care on my part.   Charles was the only one who said yes. And even he had a box of Fruit Loops, while I made his French Toast.   Guess they can always have French Toast, but sugary, unhealthy cereal they don't have every day!  Come to think of it. . . all the grandkids who come here look for it.  One time, I didn't get it, and I had to rush out asap to get some.  Lots of unhappy disappointed faces. 

A note:  Ida was cold when I tucked her into bed Thursday night, so I got her a quilt from the dresser.  I told her it was her great grandmother who made it, and it was very special.  I had thought it was from her grandmother, on Donna's side of the family, (Lue's side) but Lue informed me that it was Paul's mother who did all the quilting.  Her mother did a lot of other sewing, but never quilted.  Lue learned quilting from Paul's mother. 

So - how're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: