The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Nostalgia

Today is the first day of school here near the Woods Edge. 

In Chicago: My grandson, Vincent, starts first grade.  That's so exciting.  I wonder if Evie (2) feels left behind.   Next year she and her new brother will be watching. 

All Paul's grandchildren are headed to school today, or have been for a week or so.  Emma is in the beginning stages of college life.  Alaina is almost done.  DJ is.  What a great time.  They do say Youth is wasted on the young.  How true.  Ida, Lee, and Charles are at Odessa.  This is Lee's last year.  That in itself is a ritual of last times,  but also looking to the future:  looking at colleges, planning for life after.

 I heard the school bus go by our house, around the cul de sac, and come back, and stop across the street.  I was up but not dressed yet.  Paul held Gracie outside, and the two of them watched.   I peeked through the blinds in the bedroom and saw it all.  The kids getting on.  When it left, we could see the parents and young ones left behind. I imagine they'll be in their thoughts all day.  That's what happens everywhere - on the first day of school.

It seems like a long time ago that I was on the receiving end of those buses.  What memories. . . How exciting it was for the teachers too!

 I enjoyed my job because as reading/math teacher, I didn't have my own group of students, but could help out in the halls with the little ones who were shaken by these new surroundings and needed a grown-up to help them find their way.  There weren't many, but always a few.  Some. Somewhere.  Who needed a little guidance. 

Then there were the older students who would come up with a hug.  So glad to see me.  And vice versa.  Some of them I'd seen only a couple of weeks earlier at summer school.  The best part of being a reading/math  teacher was I'd have the same children for many years and got to know them very well.  As you can see, I miss that.   I'm glad I was fortunate to have a job I loved so much. 

Today, the teachers and I who've retired have our own celebration for the first day of school  - we meet for lunch and talk about how our lives are going.  I know some who go out for breakfast.  We all laugh and enjoy the time together, and we really do, but I think  we all remember the "good old days" and the cameraderie we had.  Life goes on.  Different, but good. . . .

So how're all of you doin?  What's going on in your neck of the woods?  I heard from Jennifer, Lue's daughter.  So nice to hear she'll be coming this Fall - to see all the colors and visit. 

No comments: