The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

You betcha? You betcha!

Mid week already.   Sun is out.  Again!  I understand snow is on the way.  It'll either get here or it won't.  We leave next Monday evening.  Still enough time to hope for good weather. 

My daughter-in-law, Epril, is going through a difficult phase of homesickness.  She comes from a very poor, but very close-knit family.  (five girls)  And she has a passel of friends she left behind.   I cannot presume to understand how hard this is for her.  I can only imagine leaving behind all I know, and moving to a foreign country.    It's comforting for me to think of all the Filipina brides that have come to the USA and felt the same way.

 I was such a homebody as a child. I would even fake a stomach ache going to a birthday party so I wouldn't have to stay.   Now that's an acknowledge truth never told before!  When I think about it, my parents probably knew.  They were so good to me. 

Of course we know Epril is a grown woman.  I'm just trying to say that just everything passes.   (Because, hey - now I love parties!)   In time, she'll realize that even though she's thinking of the family and friends she's left behind,  and she'll do that always,  she will come to realize that we all love her here and wish her to be happy.  And with all the love and support from her husband and all his family, and friends, it'll happen.  You betcha? You betcha!

We went to Odessa last night. My step-daughter Sharon, and son-in-law had a grand opening of a branch office of their insurance business   They renovated a store downtown and it was truly beautifully done.  Several rooms with finished wood, new flooring, new furniture, new pictures.  Sharon will be working part-time there, instead of the main office.

 As usual, Sharon's baking "took the cake."  LOL.  Talking to Brenda via cell phone in the morning, she said Sharon had been baking all kinds of cookies and brownies for the open house.  And she had.   Sharon baked the brownies from scratch.  Yum.  Another reminder of childhood.  I have my mother's recipe, actually Grandma Lotte's recipe, and I haven't used it in years.  I think I'll take it to Florida.  Those brownies were oh, so much better than a mix.  I had forgotten. 

It actually was a busy evening.  After that, we went to the Watkins Library for a very good lesson on how to borrow e-books on our kindle.  There were a lot of people there and he covered a lot in an hour.  At the end, he gave  us several easy-to-follow, step by step worksheets.  Good thing because I tend to forget easily. 

When we came home,  Gracie met us at the door panting and shivering like crazy, obviously very upset and panicked.  We couldn't figure out what was wrong at first.   Paul thought it was because we went out at night, something we haven't done lately - but it wasn't that.  There was a smoke alarm in the basement that was going off every 30 seconds or so - very softly.  I could hear it, but he couldn't.  He went downstairs and fixed it.  The battery was low and that was its signal.   Gracie was fine after it was fixed.  Poor thing.  She gobbled up her dinner and couldn't wait to have us toss her "Flat Rat" for her to fetch. 

No comments: