The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, August 26, 2011

Over-used, but meaningful words. . .

I was just reading a tongue-in-cheek article in Time Magazine about computer passwords and how easily they can be hacked. Joel Stein wrote that you should change your passwords every so often (every few months), never use information from your life, add &*^% and such to it, use capitals, lower case letters; randomize it as much as possible. Joel said that a hacker could guess his password in 33 seconds. Mine would probably be quicker. But - hey - please don't try guessing mine. It'd just make me nervous. And - We're all friends here. . . aren't we?

Bill is ending up his vacation - leaving tomorrow morning, Saturday, with a 5:50 AM flight. Good thing we're just 10 minutes from the airport. Leave the house at 4:15. In my mind I toyed with letting him drive my car there, leaving the keys in an inconspicuous place, and then Paul and I could go get it later on in the day. Oh, well. It's stupid to waste money like that and someone possibly stealing my car. I'm hoping for an early breakfast after we see him off. We were concerned about Hurricane Irene closing down Philadelphia Airport, but checking the Weather Channel, it looks like it'll be a-okay. So far. Knock on wood.

My good friend Rosemarie, from teaching days, came by yesterday with her daughter Emily. Rosemarie wanted them to look at Bill and Epril's wedding album. Emily will be married in October. Her new mother-in-law is Filipino. Rosemarie and Emily wanted to know if we knew of any Filipino customs that they could incorporate into the wedding ceremony. We mentioned some, but they were ones that I think they already knew. The wedding Bill and Epril had in the Phillipines was very similar to our weddings here in the states. Anyway I'm glad they came. . . because for the past several days, I worked on sorting the photographs and videos of their wedding. Something that I'd been meaning to do for a while. So that worked out well.

My cell phone rarely rings and I never have time to answer it in time, because I have to locate it - so after seeing who it was from, I called Rosemarie back. I figured she was just going to thank me for the morning visit. But - no. Our long-time principal, Nick Rossi, had died of lung cancer. Wow. That hit me hard. For years, he'd been not only our principal, but a special friend to us and God bless him, he meant a lot to me and to so many people. Lots of people considered him "The Best."

It's beautiful out today - and it's hard to think about Hurricane Irene bearing down on the East Coast. I can remember hurricanes on Long Island when I was young. But for many years, Long Island has been spared. I remember some hurricanes - especially since they occured during the end of August when it was my brother's birthday. Lights and electricity would go off, but our gas stove continued working and we could bake birthday cakes and dinners no matter what! Candles were everywhere. We didn't worry about house fires then. We'd read by candlelight. You know, I think we've become a bunch of worryworts. Now, does that mean I've jinxed us? Knock on wood.

Got an e-mail from Marcia in NC. They've batted down the hatches. I think that's the correct over-used saying. I've noticed that I'm using lots of them in this post. Let's hope everything is a-okay and continues to be. Just wanted you to know we're thinking of you, M & H.

So - things are calming down around here at the Woods Edge.
How're things goin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: