The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, February 7, 2014

I don't know about you, but time goes by quickly.

Sometimes, coming up with a title for this potpourri is the hardest part of writing.

It seems like Friday nights out for dinner have become a habit with us. (No. . . . really?  That's hard to believe, isn't it. )

 Bill and Epril have invited us to come to Punta Gorda tonight for a fish fry.  When Bill called, he said we could go to the local Moose Club.  Well, then we called him back to say we'd come and asked how to get there. He checked.  There isn't a Moose Club in Punta Gorda. Nor is there one nearby. 

 It's a good thing we checked, because then we chose Plan B:  We're still going, but to some other restaurant he suggested.  First, we'll have one glass of wine at their home.  Just one.  We try to be careful. 

It's great to see how much Epril's English, conversational skills and confidence have improved.

 It's probably because she talks  to her elderly friends at the nursing home a lot. They really love her.   She relayed one conversation was with one old lady who said she couldn't be a friend to Epril because Epril was too young.  Epril  said, what do you mean?  I had a grandmother who died.  You can be my grandmother.

And last week, she told us about the driving test she took.  She said she told the man that tested her  that she was nervous.  He said, don't be - just do what I tell you to do.  Well, she did what he told her, and, as we know,  passed.  When he showed her the paper that said PASSED, she gave him a big hug. 

I'm busy getting things in order for the kitchen island.  I'm filling up the drawers, and yesterday, Paul and I went to Lowe's and got some wire pull-out shelves.  He installed that last night. 

Our stools haven't arrived yet, so it looks like we're going to be using the dining room table for a while longer.  It is a disappointment since we had hoped to have them here when Marcia and Hal arrive  Sunday from North Carolina.

The stools would have been here, if the store hadn't made the mistake of ordering the wrong wood, and having to return them last week.   Oh, well. Let's think positively.   Perhaps they'll come while Marcia and Hal are here. 

Speaking of Marcia:  We had a bet on the Superbowl, and I won. She's bringing a Bota Box of Pinot Grigio.    Ha.  I didn't think I'd win, but then I didn't know much about the Seahawks.  There was so much more publicity about the Broncos, so I thought they were the better team.  Obviously not. 

Ask and ye shall receive:  Last week I asked Paul, that when he was done with the Island, perhaps he could make some wooden frames for the digital picture/paintings we have in the new room.  Paul is so good about that.  All I have to do is make a suggestion, a hint, and he's there trying out new things and getting them done.

  And these frames are better than store-bought.  They're exactly what I wanted.  Barnwood, painted black.  And cost-wise?  I suggested Paul make more and sell them.  Hobby Lobby wanted $75- $100 for frames like he made. 

                                         *****************************

Remember, a while back, I googled  "how to write a good blog"?  There were .helpful suggestions,  and one was. . . .  Feedback.  How about it?   Although, when talking with people, it's gratifying to know people read it.   We know I don't write about controversial subjects,  so probably comments wouldn't be along that vein, but if you have any thoughts, please let me know.  

Having said that, I DO get responses from people, and you know who you are, but the majority - read, and I don't know them.  But when I find that I had 454 page-views last month, well - I wonder who they are.  It's nice to know that it's read.  Or glanced at. 

                                         *****************************

The UPS guy just came with a package that Paul ordered: a compact size trimmer.  It's description is a super pocket pro including a trimmer blade and a bonus T-trimmer blade.  At the bottom of the packaging it says: professional products manufactured for the home groomer

Yep.  It's for Gracie.  She needs her paws and pads trimmed.  She seems very excited over the package, jumping around wildly, but we don't know how she'll really react when she finds out what it does.  She's now lying by my feet with her face between her paws looking at Paul across the room in the lanai as he turned it on.  It does buzz.  And probably vibrates.  It'll take her some getting used to.  He's reading the manual now.   Well, she didn't like a bath, and now she does.  Maybe this'll be the same way.   They're now both having a nap on Paul's recliner.

Bob and Paul enjoy teasing about the mirrors I have in the lanai.  How the streaks and smudges show up when the sun starts to go down.  Their suggestion of using a paper towel and NO cleaner seems to help.  They do like telling me where the smudges are.   And I like getting them clean.

My calendar is filling up with Showtime rehearsals, practices, but that's always expected as the time comes closer.  I have a meeting with the director this week to go over some songs.  Pat does such a good job of making all the performers feel they are special. 

It's actually more fun for the performers during the practice time, I think, as they try to perfect their performances.  Most of the performers are doing funny things, poking fun at themselves.  That's good.  We have to remember we're not professionals and shouldn't expect our performances to be.  Just do the best we can.

 We definitely have more fun getting ready for it than the audiences watching it.  Have you ever seen us on Youtube?   We were on at least one time when someone videotaped the men's synchronized swimming. 

No comments: