The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Did you miss me?

I'm back.  Did you miss me?  I'm sure most of you thought I was just busy with Showtime, which I was. So you were correct.  The last time I wrote was February 18th - Walter's birthday.  But - thank you, Lue, for writing and wondering if I was sick.  It was very nice of you to worry.  Your thoughts were appreciated.

One thing that I appreciated this year, and there's always something each year that crops up unexpectedly, were the two new friendships that I have made. 

So much has been going on, but not much more than practicing with people on the piano.  I had a steady flow of singers coming to the house this past week.  I was able to "fix" "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood."  because one of the musicians in Circlewoods, Rich,  knew someone who had a computer program that could get me a copy of  the  music changed from key of F to the key of C. Rich has been in Showtime for many years and was just an advisor this year.

  You see, the problem was, I know a computer site where I can get all kinds of sheet music. It's been marvelous.    I've never had a problem getting any, but THIS one piece of music - forget it.  It was not to be seen anywhere I looked.  Rich was so pleased to be able to help me.  He was very busy playing in a band all that weekend, but he found the time to locate this man and see that I got a copy.  It did my heart good.  I got it the Sunday evening before the show, which was two days before the first full rehearsal.

There are so many related people here at Circlewoods. (Bob, Alice, myself, my next door neighbor and her sister and brother in law two doors down)  Rich is  the brother-in-law of the lady whom I accompanied.  "Waiting at the Church"  Pat could never remember the lines and sang them differently each time.  She even had the lines written in front of her behind her bridal bouquet.   At least she remembered the punch line each time - which was (I can't marry you.  My wife . . .won't let me.) Playing for her was a challenge, but still fun.  Not sure if she'll agree about that.

So - anyway - I got to know Rich and I appreciated his help getting me music. 

Then there was Martha.  Martha had been the accompanist for Showtime before I took over.  Martha and her husband moved to Englewood, the town next to Venice, a couple of years ago.  Martha had played a particular song for two singers and our director wanted her to come back and do it again with  them.  Martha and I sat together and talked and talked about being organists, things going on in the family, music sites on the net and other things.  It was delightful. 

My friend, Carol O., was my page-turner and usher for each performance.    She's done this for several years and enjoys being part of Showtime.

And of course, there was the chance for me to play for my cousins - Alice and Carol - as they sang "It's Raining on Prom Night" from Grease.  Clever and well done.  They also practiced and practiced with me and it really showed. 

Bill and Epril came on Saturday to go out to dinner with us at Applebee's and then to the show Saturday night along with Bob. They got here during the matinee performance.  We had a show Friday night, one Saturday at 2 and again at 7.    After the Saturday show we had a pizza party and I was able to bring one friend (oops.  I mentioned that the last post.).  We had enough people that I could also invite Bill, Bob and Epril. 

I had originally bought Bob a ticket, but he had made plans to visit his daughter Christine for the weekend and then to go on to Alpharetta to his son Jon's home for a couple of weeks.  Christine has a full-size poodle and just got another one a couple of weeks ago.  They both were sick.  So Bob didn't want to infect Martini, so I managed to get his ticket back and he was able to go to the show.  He stayed around until Sunday when he left for Alpharetta.   He planned to stay in Valdosta, GA, which is halfway that night and continue on 6 hours to Alpharetta on Monday morning. 

We had a scare Monday morning - our phone rang around 7:15. It rang once, then stopped, and then rang several times.  I was awake and just lying in bed.   It was Bob and he was not speaking coherently.  Not full sentences.  Didn't make sense.  I had his cell phone number, so I called him right back.  He answered.  He'd butt-dialed my number.  He'd been talking to Martini outside (while she did her business.)  What a relief. (ha.  For us.  and Martini, I guess) I suppose its not important to make sense when you're talking to a dog and no one's around.  He sounded fine the second time.

Paul and I went to the Venice Art Show Sunday afternoon with Gracie.  There were tons of people and lots of dogs.  They have all the exhibits in tents on Venice Ave. and it's quite a show to go to.

 I even saw the person who made the little metal trees. (They look like little metal winter wind-swept bonsai trees on rocks.) I had gotten one a couple of years ago and wanted to get one for Nancy. I lost their card, but found it and was able to order one for her a year ago.)  I talked with them and said how much I loved their work.  They were from Indiana.  I got another card. 

 Lots of people-watching opportunities.  It appears that Gracie loves to do this.  When I went inside the shell store, they sat outside on two imitation pilings.   That took the place of seating outside.  Paul said she sat there like a little Princess. . . just watching the people walk by.  Very quiet and serene.  She's so good.  People are drawn to her.  He said one lady came up to them with a serious look.  She quietly stared and stared at Gracie.  Then she said "beautiful." and walked away. 

Now I'm just getting used to having some free time.  Or I should be after I get caught up with what I haven't had time to do.  I made a list of to-do things yesterday and have completed half of it so far. 

  I did make a good dinner last night - Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo. The recipe was in Parade Magazine on Sunday.   It took a lot of preparation time, but tasted delicious.  Paul liked it so much he wanted it for lunch today.  That's almost unheard of.  I guess it was a hit.  Good thing the recipe made 10 servings.  I had planned to freeze it, but it may not get to the freezer. 

The weather is outstanding.  Mid 70's. Sunny.  I should have gone to the heated pool.    Flowers are beautiful that Paul planted.  No humidity.  Slight breeze.  Perfect.  Sorry folks.  It's the truth.  Alice and I were together this morning and I told her how lucky we were to be here and how at our age how lucky we were to be able to enjoy such a life.  I think when you come from the North you realize more and more how lucky you are. It's such a pleasure to wake up to the birds and see the sun all day. Almost every day. 

Don't forget to change your clocks on Saturday night.  They go forward.   Spring is coming!  And our little granddaughter, Ida, will be having a birthday this next week.  Happy Birthday my dear girl.  We'll be thinking of you.  There's a card in the mail. 






No comments: