The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Well, you can imagine. . .

I have all sorts of error messages coming on my BlogSpot account.  Since I'm writing from a "different spot" (home now) perhaps that's the reason.  Oh, well.  Carry on. 

Yes.  We're home now.  Feels like we've been home two weeks and it's only been four and 1/2 days.  I won't count this as a full one, since it isn't yet. 

What a lot of stuff we've done.  Well, you can imagine coming home to an un-decorated house, presents to be picked up next door, then open boxes, match gifts with list in folder, wrap presents, go shopping for things still needed - go several times.  Well, you can imagine.  Well, you say - so what? I know you're all going through it - in some manner or other.  All families are the same at this time of year. 

Paul is busy putting a new lock on our front door - one that is extra sturdy because, while we were in Florida, one of the neighbors found it standing open.  This is a deadbolt lock that requires a key.  It looks very good.  I don't think anyone could open it unless they have a key.  But let's not tempt fate.

Post note:  Paul is having a devil of a time with it.  Some of the screws aren't working right, so he's had to file them down, etc.  and the thing cost $129.00 at Lowe's yesterday. 

Our trip was good.  We rented a car from Venice on Monday morning.  We packed our suitcase (1).  Paul didn't bring any clothes.  He said it was all here.  I packed it with mostly stuff rather than clothes.  Ex. Christmas music, Song sheets, Photo album - all things for people to see, do, sing.  Needed to "make the Christmas bright."  As the song goes. 

So off we went to St. Petersburg airport.  Gracie was as good as gold.  As you know, Paul's been training her with treats in her carrier - walking her around the house.  When we parked the car, we gave her some cheese with her pill inside.  It worked very well.  We went through security.  Got to our gate and saw the plane outside, waiting for us all to board.  NOT TO BE. 

The pilot was sick.  They needed a new one.  There weren't any extra in St. Pete's. They had to send to Sanford for another - a two hour trip - but on rush hour on I-4 it took three hours.  He got there and we left.  We let Gracie out of her carrier for a while  because it was such a long time,  and Paul walked her around a bit.  She did a lot of sniffing - lots of smells.  We were concerned about her bladder control, but she was a true heroine (not sure how to spell that - looks like the drug, but you know what I mean).  She whined a little when we put her under the plane seat, but she slept the whole way.  It was a very smooth trip.
.

An aside, while in St. Pete's airport, we had a chair for Gracie between us at the gate.  She was in her carrier most of the time.  Paul left to take a walk.  There were plenty of seats around, but an old lady came by and wanted his seat.  I explained to her that it was taken.  She said - well, can't you put the dog on the floor?  At this point someone else pointed out all the seats around and she could sit by her.  I'm always slow on the uptake.  Afterwards I thought - we paid more for Gracie's ticket than our own - we shouldn't feel guilty that she had a seat of her own, even if she had to be under a seat onboard the plane!  Especially if there were more seats.  If there weren't, I would have gladly put her on the floor, or held her on my lap.  But that's neither here nor there. 

We got to Elmira to VERY cold weather.  Didn't have my winter coat.  There was a good 8" of snow on the ground.  They didn't have a winterized section for us to walk through into the terminal, but they did have an open-air three-positional ramp that had been de-iced. Just like we had in St. Pete's.   All I could think of was - Slip on ice.  broken hip.  Dead soon.  But that was only for a second.  My suitcase did roll down the third ramp section, but a kind attendant stopped it and me from sliding the whole way.  The airport runway was fine.  No ice.   It's strange.  I thought of snow, but I didn't think of cold and ice.  I'm fine now.  It took me a day or two to adjust.  Lue was there to meet us.  God bless her. 

 When we got inside the airport gate area, Paul zipped open the carrier a little bit and Gracie's quickly pushed her nose and head out. . I commented to Paul as he walked along that she looked like the hood ornament on a car. 

Lue is on her way to Boston area. The weather is good.  She's driving with her dog  Greta. She left at 7 AM so that she'll get there before dark.  She said since they're so close to the coast, it's dark there about 3:45 at this time of year.  It's a 7-8 hour trip.  God bless her.  She went to a fish fry with us last night so we had a chance to be with her before she left.  She looked good. 

Bob is in Alpharetta with Jon's family.  They'll have quite a house-ful as Cookie and Clarkie, Nicole's parents, and her sisters and families will be there to visit from Florida and Long Island.  Reminds me of our house here.  We'll have between twelve and  sixteen staying with us - depending on the day.  On Christmas day we'll have twenty-six for dinner.  The "kids" are taking care of everything.  We did buy a turkey.  Paul may cook up some wimpies. (sloppy joes for those of you who aren't informed)  I bought ground beef.

I called my good friend Marcia in North Carolina.  She said it was 80 degrees.  They were out walking.  Their cat Cleo is on her last leg - 19 years old and ready to be put down.  Marcia becomes so fond of her pets, as do we all.  I can't imagine how I'll be when the time come for Gracie leaving us.  So they've cancelled their trip to visit her brother Bob in northern Florida.  It is what it is.

I saw a picture of Brenda, Eric and Emma on the airplane.  So they're on their way!  Or probably even in NYC by now.  They're picking up Lina, their exchange student coming in at 3 PM from Germany to spend Christmas with us all.   

Our grandson, Lee, stopped here yesterday and spent several hours in Paul's workshop working on some presents. .  It was good to see him.  It was quite cold in there, but we were glad to have him visit.  He was very secretive about what he was working on.

We are actually quite well-adjusted to being here and getting organized. Presents are all bought.  Most gift wrapping is done. Thank goodness! I'm waiting for Paul to disappear so I can wrap a couple for him.  I did buy him the recliner for the new Florida room.  I wanted something for him to unwrap here though. 

 I'm disappointed that there probably won't be any snow for Christmas. (So Bill and Epril - don't be sad that you're not with us.  Epril will have to see snow some other time.  Although we do miss you both.  Glad we could get together on Sunday.)    It's been warming up and it's supposed to go up to 50 degrees this weekend. Yes.  50 degrees!  There'll probably be rain, but no snow is forecast.  That's good, in a way - since we have so many people traveling. We would have preferred clear weather, and perhaps it will be, but rain is better than snow.  As long as it isn't icy.   But I had wanted snow for Evie and Vincent to sled ride down our back hill. 

I am nursing a cold.  Much sneezing.  Haven't had one in years.  Hoping to be better by Christmas.  There's still time.





No comments: