The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

This is my 499th post.  Who'd ever think I had that much to say???

Sometimes you just have to say it. . .

We've had some gloomy cold days up here at the woods edge.  Today I have a sweater on and long pants.  It makes me think of Florida and the beautiful weather we'd had down there - sunny, bright, not humid.  Not too warm.  Not too cold.  But then reality hits me, and I know it's HOT down there now.  And humid.  And if it isn't, it will be soon. 

But then:

And of course, the weather will change up here too and it will be beautiful again.  It was just a couple of days ago we had cocktails on the deck, with the umbrella up, shading us, and I was exclaiming how beautiful the trees looked as the breeze hit the highest branches, and the Hummingbird Feeder three feet away from us had visitors while we sat there.  Kinda nice.  So we're waiting patiently.  I hear the weather will be better tomorrow. 

Sorry. . . On a complaining note:

Yesterday and today I went to Curves.  Not many people there.  Maybe people are staying home because of the weather. Or not.  Last week I signed on for my eleventh year.

 As you all probably know, or not, Curves is an international women's health organization.  It was run by a healthy, happy-looking mid-forties couple (from their picture) who made a lot of money having  health clubs around the world,  but especially in the USA.  It is meant for ladies of all ages, but it was/is popular  for us "older ladies" to exercise without the embarressment of . . . well, you know how we look in exercise clothes and how the other younger, well-trimmed ladies look. . .

   Anyway. . .There are big changes in the Curves organization.  In January, this happy couple sold their company, and probably made a mint of money,  to a group (of men -  I've heard, but don't quote me on this.) And this new group made a lot of changes.  Some good, some questionable. They want conformity.  This all happened in January of this year when I was in Florida, going to Curves down there. However,  I didn't get there as much as I thought I would, (but did a lot more walking with Paul and Gracie.)  I know why of course. We have a second car here, the rainy weather isn't conducive to walking. 

So - back on track

 - I didn't notice changes, but there were. 

The Florida owner sold her place. After I got back up north, she sent everyone a good-by e-mail, but that "she'd see us on the circuit." (Our word for the machines). She didn't say why, but I think the Powers that Be (PtB) had too many changes and she wasn't happy with them.

  Then I got up here.  The PtB demanded they change the colors of the room from green to purple.  The help was to wear purple Curve T shirts all the time.  They were to change their hours - they were open too long.    Down south, they were open too few hours. All Curves were to be opened the same. Up here they  had to let some of their help go. Also -  Too many Christian sentiments put on the walls.  They were to be taken down..   

Then I found out today that the price has gone up with a new program for new people. (I think new people)  It costs $44.00 a month.    It's called "Curves Complete" - a brand new exercise, diet and wellness program.  I don't think they'll have much of a following.  Too expensive for retired school teachers, etc.  I certainly didn't sign up for that. 

 Another rule:  the owner has to be on the premises.  I hear that was one of many of the reasons that the Bath Curves closed May 31st of this year.

 Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone?  We "older ladies" enjoy the cameraderie of all the people we see when we go. I've got news for them.   Most of us don't want to be weighed and measured. I can still be weighed and measured if I want to, but I choose not to.

   I can remember going to Curves every day at 8:30 in Bath, and then going out for coffee with my friends.  We'd sit and chat and then go on our way for the rest of the day.   These ladies even came and visited me at the  Watkins Glen Curves.

BTW That closed too.  Several years ago.   She couldn't make a go of it.

When I started I didn't know where my words were going, but it seems like I found plenty to say again.

Now it's time to stop.  It's the hour before supper. 

Everyone - so what's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: