The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Full Week



I don't know about you, but my weeks are so full - it seems like two weekends ago it was Labor Day - not one.

Poor Lue had flooding at her house due to Tropical Storm Lee. Thursday, she sent us a message on our answering machine, which we didn't get til late morning, that she had several inches of water/mud in her cellar and garage and wouldn't be going out to lunch with us, Ruth and her sister, Sharon. So - we dropped by her house to see if there was anything we could do to help her. But, earlier, her old boss, Jamie, and others had been there to help her out. She ended up with lots of wet boxes that were full of seasonal Fall items, clothing, drapes, rugs, other things. She was on her third batch of laundry. Paul is there now to help her with some electrical problem. Lue is amazing how she's able to cope with so many things so well. It doesn't seem possible that she'll be celebrating her 80th birthday. FYI - She and Evie have the same birthday! Only she was born 79 years before her.

Our weekend was full.

My good friend, Carol O. from Bath, came for a visit overnight Friday. We see her infrequently here in NYS. But keep in touch via e-mail. It's mostly when I go to Bath for some reason or other do we get together. But in Venice - it's a different story. She rents a condo nearby in our development. (We go to Curves together down in Fla.)

Friday afternoon we went to my Curves here. On our way home from Curves in Elmira Heights, we drove past Saint Mary Our Mother Church and School, and we saw a field "planted" with all these many many big eight-ten foot flags .

We stopped and talked to some people who looked like they were in charge. They said it was called "The Healing Field" for the tenth anniversary of September 11th. People could buy a flag in memory of someone. They said there were about 2,000 flags. They even had a chart that could tell you where your flag or a certain flag was located. There were several speeches and events planned for the weekend, so they had chairs set up near the school for speeches and such. We saw several local radio and tv station vans there.

That evening, the three of us went out for a fishfry at the Mechanics Club.
So - after dinner, we had Paul drive back to the church, so he could see all the flags, and I could get some pictures. (Naturally, I didn't have my camera with me the first time around.) Speeches were going on, so we went to the other side of all the flags so we wouldn't disturb the speeches. Carol and Paul stayed in the car while I got out and took pictures.




As I was taking pictures, two little girls with red, white and blue 9/11 ribbons pinned on their chests came running up - asking if I was looking for a particular flag? They were very proud. They went to that school and this was their way of helping out, by helping people find "their flag." But No, I was just taking pictures. Would they mind if I took theirs? Afterwards I hesitated about the idea of putting it on my blog because I didn't have their parents permission. But I didn't get their names, so I don't have any idea who they were which probably means that no one else will who reads this blog will either.

Saturday the three of us, plus Gracie, had lunch outside at Panera Bread. It was a beautiful sunny day. As Carol says - Gracie is a "chick magnet": The Bucknell girls' soccer team were going to Cornell and happened to eat outside with us. So you can imagine what happened. Then Paul took Gracie, and went to do his shopping at Lowes', and we went to the mall to do ours. From there, Carol went home.



We had expected Ida to also stay the night, because the rest of the family were going to a football game and the weather wasn't expected to be ideal. (Ida is susceptible to pneumonia.) but Sharon phoned to say - "She got a better offer. . . at a friend's house." I'm sure she did. LOL Good for her.


So - what's happenin' in your neck o' the woods?

No comments: