The Hunger Games Series Books 1-3.

  • Kindle books under $9.99 - I've read a lot of $1.99, $.99 ones
  • Nelson DeMille books
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy

Friday, January 15, 2016

It's Winter Everywhere

  Even in Florida.  We're in long pants, sweaters or jackets.  I think our winter's the best.  I know real winter persons, would disagree. Oh well - you have your way, I've got mine.  Some people wear down vests, winter hats.  It looks so funny.  I imagine some of them do it just for the excitement of wearing winter clothes.  One lady had a hat on with the braided sides.  How ridiculous.

So Paul's very happy.  He can wear his jeans.

When the sun comes out though, it's nice and summery.  Or Spring-like.

Got a phone call from Carol O..my friend from Bath.  She and her friend  Cindy arrived here right on time last Saturday on the auto train.  Unfortunately, her rental house was covered with mold.  No one had been there in over a year.  Obviously -  The person who's supposed to watch it,  didn't (as much as he was supposed to, anyway.)

After contacting the owner, they had someone in to clean it all up.  What a mess.  I can remember when that happened to the furnished cellar of our house in East Rockaway a long time ago.  It's not nice.  All is okay now.  They  stopped by to relate her story and she seems as happy as ever.  She's always so bubbly.

It's Gracie's birthday - she's 6 today.  I hate to have the years go by.  She's such a good dog.  We've had such a great time with her.  Doesn't seem possible that it was MY birthday when we bought her.  March 22nd.  How many weeks was that? 8?   She was such a little thing - less than 2 lbs.  Now she weights a little over 5. 

Went to have my hair colored this morning.   We had a terrific rain storm with horrendous wind and rain.  If it was snow, it would've been labeled a white out.  It had been raining hard before and the parking lot was flooded outside the door when I came in. Then boom -  The power went out at an awful time . . . The color was on my head; I looked pretty bad AND -  I almost had to go home with a wet head and come in tomorrow to complete my beautification, but the power came back on 20 minutes later.   When Paul came to get me, he said there was some wind by our house (two miles away?), but that's it.   I'm looking at a big six-foot umbrella in the lanai that has dried.  Gracie had to go out earlier.  She always refuses without an umbrella if it's raining.

Earlier this morning I went to bone health exercise up at the clubhouse.  There were  seven of us there but   I didn't recognize anyone.  It was amusing how we all tried to interpret the written numbered  directions from the folding boards.     I was about as much help as anyone.  Somehow I don't think we really got it right, but we all ended up in a sweat, so I guess it was good enough. 

Saturday night (tomorrow) they're having a pasta dinner at the clubhouse.  While we were exercising,  several people were in the kitchen - making meatballs, etc. .  (The Board's annual dinner.) After I finished exercising, I went in and asked if there would be any gluten free pasta?  (a long shot) Nope.  The meatballs had breadcrumbs in them also.  There are just some things that have to not be.  I could bring my gf pasta, but I really don't want to make a fuss.  It's not worth it. I asked Paul and he was ambivalent.

 Alice wasn't there because she's expecting her daughter, Laura, her husband Tim and their two grandsons - Kailen and Matt. They're coming from Columbia, South Carolina.   Matt is about Walter's age (3)  Kailen is about Vincent's age (9).    Close enough.  They have a three day weekend due to Martin Luther King Day.

Then after they leave, Alice's daughter Sue and son-in-law, Craig, will be with her a couple of nights from Peru where they are missionaries.  Sue will lead the Bible Study on Wednesday morning. 

Cousin Carol is not with us for Bible Study because she is in dialysis on Wednesdays now at the same time that Bible Study is.  Mon, Wed, Fri.  It seems strange to not have her there.  I miss her.  Alice has another Bible Study at another place in Venice on Thursdays that will begin again in February.  I think Carol is planning on going.



Next week should be busy.

Monday - we're meeting Carol O and Cindy at Venice Theatre, for this year's performance of Capital Steps.  It is a national touring company that pokes fun at Washington DC . . . the government and all.  Should be funny - with Trump, Cruz, etc. in the headlines now. 

Tuesday - We're meeting other friends from Bath for breakfast - Carolyn and John along with Carol and Cindy. 

Wednesday - Carolyn and I are going to a luncheon at The Plantation Golf and Country Club restaurant for the Women's Club of the Presbyterian church.  I can remember going to the Plantation for Easter Sundays years ago when the kids were small.  Now, however, you need to be a member to get in. 

We had our first tomato of the season today.  I made a chicken salad for lunch.  The tomato was pretty good.  I gotta say that nothing compares with upstate tomatoes.  Oops.  Listen to me!  I'm criticizing a tomato that comes up in January.  Good heavens.  There are more - not ripe yet.  Hope I didn't heart their feelings.

Monday morning I had two basal cell carcinomas on my back and shoulder taken off.  It only took 20 minutes; it was done in the doctor's office.  Very easy, but I'm Nervous Norma.  Paul went with me.    All the doctors down here are duplicates of the ones I see up north.  Sometimes I forget what they look like until they come through the door for the first time of the season,  and then, (oh yes - I remember you.)

From there we drove to an appointment at the Hyundai dealership in Sarasota.  I'm thinking -why did we buy a car that, when service is needed, we don't have an agency in Venice.  There are so many dealerships here.  Love that car, though.  It needed more work than we thought, so we had a rental. . . a cute little thing and kept it for a couple of days. 

It was nice to go to Sarasota.  We so seldom get there these days.  We should really make more of an effort.  They have a Sam's Club quite close to the dealership - so when we picked up the car, we enjoyed getting the items we would normally have gotten at the Port Charlotte Sam's.

Pretty soon - February - we'll be having our new cabinets and countertops in the kitchen.  Not looking forward to the upheaval. To have it nice, it has to be  messy for a while.

So that's all the news that's fit to print. 




No comments: